What's new

How do you place your DVDs on the shelf? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
How do you place your DVDs on the shelf?
Autobiographically...
(High Fidelity reference)
Seriously, it used to be alphabetical until I ran out of room. Now my first 200 are alphabetical, and the last 150 are in rough, chronological (in terms of purchase) order.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
With only 200 discs I store them by motion picture company. That way the cases and art work match. By the way is Gladiator Universal or Dreamworks?
Wes

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
With only 200 discs I store them by motion picture company. That way the cases and art work match. By the way is Gladiator Universal or Dreamworks?
Gladiator is primarily considered a Dreamworks title.
As for my storage methods, there is no order whatsoever. My 200+ titles are put wherever there's shelf space...I welcome a little chaos in my life! :) Until I can get a good-sized shelf, this method will have to do.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
"I just can't imagine a scenario where friends think it's the coolest thing that I have covered my walls with product."
Well, I think it's all about a clean and subtle collection presentation. I do sort by studio so spines match visually.
For what it's worth, my grad student GF is absolutely giddy with pleasure every time we have to go pick up another matching sheving unit for her evergrowing horrible academic book collection. And, even though I don't really "collect" music, I was really impressed when I saw a co-workers "High Fidelity-like" vinyl archive tastefully lining his listening room. Last example, I visited with a creative director of a major publication, and an entire (attractive) wall of his office was covered with skillfully hung Spawn action figures.
A well presented collection says alot about your personality and taste. As long as it's not Beanie Babies in those plastic take out containers- You best keep those in the basement.

Thomas Johnsen

Auditioning
I have about 200 DVD's in this order; Boxsets and special cases on a seperate shelf, snappers alpha, keepcases alpha and criterion by number. Then I have a section under the shelves for "junk" - the stuff I can never understand why I bought.
I don't like the look of it when snappers and other weird cases are in the middle of lots of keepcases.
[Edited last by Thomas Johnsen on October 22, 2001 at 08:32 AM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Two parallel systems. Discs I've watched are neatly in alpha order on the shelves (except box sets and Criterion, which have their own locations). Discs I haven't watched are in piles sorted by initial letter but not alphabetized any further. I instantly know whether I've watched a particular DVD (despite having CENSORED of them), so I know which area to approach. DVD Profiler has a nice assortment of reports you can generate, so I've got a listing for PG-13 and lower movies that are kid-friendly and the full list for when the guys are over for High Body Count Night.
laugh.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I seem to be out of the loop here. Could someone explain to me what a snapper is? Thanks
Jon

Matthew_S

Second Unit
This is how I do it. First, I make some semi-sweet chocolate cocoa, light five scented candles and place the candles in a circle around my living room. Next, the tribal drum music is turned up loud. Then, I throw my dvd's on the ground and cull them into a heaping pile. Dancing around wildly in the circle, I occasionally pick one from the pile and place it on my shelf while yelling "ho-mum shi vai" at the top of my lungs, faster and faster until my shelf is full.
:)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
did I mention how large my penis is?
Is that what I keep tripping over when I walk to the bus in the mornings?
Ok, my system (which I have mentioned each time this subject comes up):
Movie box sets, alphabetically.
TV series and non-box-set movie series, alphabetically.
Movies by category, alphabetically.
A shelf for display items, such as the Anchor Bay tins.
--Anders
------------------
http://www.dvd1138.com/
Ob me Deus cavet
Link Removed

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I asked this question a few months ago in the "Polls" section, where the thread died a quick death...I guess I should have placed it in "Software", even though it's just a poll...oh well, I'm just grumbling.
I am an alphabetical man, myself. The only exception is that of box sets, which are in their own area, also alphabetically.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Alphabetically, by title. Of course, with somewhere between 80 and 90 discs, this is easy to do.
When my collection eventually grows to a few hundred titles, my plans are as follows: Buy multiple x00 disc changers. Fill them with discs, throw all of the cases in a box and put them in storage somewhere. Control: A http://www.crestron.com/
Out of curiosity, do your friends actually think it's impressive that you have large collections? Personally, I find it's something that I have to explain to most people, and vaguely defend
Yup. Most think I'm crazy, and the size of my collection isn't obscene by any sense of the word. I personally don't like displaying them so I've made room in my computer room to store them. One of these days I'm going to move all of the discs as well as my DVD player & VCR back there and put them in the rack with my servers & audio equipment. I'd do it now, but I'm using a wireless IR distribution system and it doesn't always work as well as I'd like it to. It's not a problem when I need to turn the volume up on the stereo, because I can just hold the button down and a good 3/4 of the commands will get sent. But trying to pause a DVD or move through a menu, I'd go insane if I had the same loss rate. As soon as I get around to buying the appropriate equipment, I'll hardwire that IR system and move everything out of sight.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I sort alpha by title. With the exception of series, Criterions, and new aquisitions (they stay on a seperate small shelf until I have a chance to watch them).
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I put FILMS in chronological order, box sets on another shelf, and made-for-TV/video DVD's on another shelf chronologically.
I only have 35 non-box set titles, 2 box sets (One has 2 films plus supplemental disc, other has 4 titles), and a "setup" disc.
When my collection reaches the 80's or 90's, I'll probably put single discs in one place, two disc editions in another, and then box sets separately.
------------------
Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
and
The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I have a bookcase in which my 200+ DVDs are placed alphabetically--movies, that is; TV-related DVDs and documentaries are put on a separate shelf. I also keep an extensive cross-index in my computer that I print out occasionally; it's divided three ways:
DVDs by alphabet
DVDs by decade
DVDs by genre
:)

Blu

Screenwriter
I tried the ROYGBIV thing with my Bond collection but couldn't get it to look right...oh well I'll stick with my chaining them together by a common thread! Granted it couldn't be done with 3,400 movies but for a couple of hundred it is enjoyable :)

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one (of you "alphabetical" sorters) who puts movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey as if they were actually Two Thousand And One A Space Odyssey? For sorting purposes, I assume that all numbers are spelled out. I ignore punctuation and spaces.
Also, for those of you who put such titles at the beginning of your collection, don't forget that the Disney movie with all the spotted dogs may say "101 Dalmations" on the cover, but it is "One Hundred And One Dalmations" in the credits.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
like 2001: A Space Odyssey as if they were actually Two Thousand And One A Space Odyssey?
To be technical, and with this subject it's ridiculous to get technical, but anyway... films like 2001 where the name is not spelled out would be placed first due to the title being numbers. However, with movies like Thirteen Days which is a number only spelled out, you would place them in alphabetical order. Most video stores and profilers/lists have them as such.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Dan_K

Grip
By category in alphabetical order (Action, Comedy, etc.) and alphabetically by title within each category.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks