How do you open a 2nd wind in IE full screen?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Varto, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Whenever I click on a link thru Internet Explorer that opens a new window, the window opens very small. How do I make it open full screen?

Thanks in advance!

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I've always wondered this myself too. The new window always seems to open up to the same size as your last "minimized" window size.

I know this isn't a what you're looking for, but (until someone posts a solution) I keep my 'minimized' windows as close to full screen as I can get and live with the fact that new windows don't completely open full screen.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

ie likes to remember window states, some things to try are to open ie adjust the window and then close it. If that doesn't work out, try holding ctrl (I think that's the right key?) and closing the window.

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

There are at least two different kinds of these. First, there are windows opened with JavaScript (you can usually tell by looking at the link) which are almost always an exact size specified by the web page. They're usually small, and used for glossary-type, popup-ish, helper windows. They might be missing the menus or toolbars or whatnot. You can't do anything about those windows.

The second types are regular links that open in another window. (Safari is a browser that will tell you in the status bar that a link has been designated to open in another window.) In IE, you can always open a regular link in another window, by right-clicking and choosing "Open in New Window". Anyway, it seems that IE will never open that window maximized. It will always use the normal size of the current window (that contains the link you clicked).

So the best you can do is browse with a window that you manually resized to be as big as you want. Do not maximize.

5. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance

When the new window opens manually adjust it to desired size "DO NOT MAXIMIZE" then close the window with the X.
    the screen will now open to the screen size you setup!!

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Don't know but then I use mozilla firefox.[​IMG]

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ron Epstein has asked this here on a couple of occasions. I cannot find the definitive answer with the search engine, but I remember there was some combination of keys which enabled new windows to open in a maximized condition.

Here is an applet which says it will do the trick. Click here. But I do NOT speak from experience with this program. I have never used it. Here's another link to the same program. And another.

I got this from opentechsupport.net. This sounds like what I remember:

Good luck!

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

:b Whoops, wrong use of the word. The button says "Restore Down". - Yes, not minimized.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

as mike already pointed out, there's lots of apps that will do this. i think i used to use something called "ie maximizer" (or something like that). it worked really well ... but when i reformatted my hd i forgot all about it.

at this point, it's just easier for me to max the window, plus with my big arse monitor, it's not really a big deal anymore.

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

No, at best they should open to fill the screen, but they are not actually maximized.

What's odd is that when I open a new window (through a link), it's always based on the normal size of the current window. All this open-the-second, close-the-first, hold-down-Ctrl business is unnecessary. If that's not consistently true for everyone using IE, that's just kind of sad.