What's new

how do you move across the country with no job secured? (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
I am planning on a move from Minnesota to the Los Angeles area by late-summer, early fall. My problem is, I will not have a job until I can find one. I was just wondering how someone without a job can lease an apartment. I mean, of course I could tell them I was planning on getting one, but that is risky for them. My girlfriend/roommate will have a job (transferring Starbucks) but that income alone isn't enough to pay for an apartment, at least in LA. Any ideas on how to do this? I don't really want to go out there before I move to look for a job, I'd rather save the money for the move. Obviously I'm not the first person to be doing something like this, so there has to be a good/wise way to go about it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, is this to good to be true?

http://www.apartments.com/search/oas...25749.2&mode=8

Thanks guys :)

PhillJones

Second Unit
I just moved from the UK to Boston with no job. I showed I had some qualifications and some savings and the landlady was happy. Trick is to appear reliable and capable. Afterall, a person could move in and loose their job a week later. It does make it harder but it isn't impossible.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm assuming you're living in an apartment now. If so, is it owned or managed by a national company? I know that the apartment I live in now was (up until 6 months ago) owned by a national company that would allow transfers to any of their other complexes without reverifying income or references.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Brent - I used to live very close to Santa Monica (Venice Beach), and yes, that apartment looks too good to be true at that price. I am actually out visiting in L.A. right now and will be going back to my old guest house in Venice next weekend. I'll drive by those apartments and let you know how the immediate neighborhood looks. In many cities (L.A. included), you can have a really nice looking place with a total craphouse right next door that's conveniently left out of the photo. When I first moved out to L.A. the apartment building itself was beautiful but the immediate neighborhood was a complete dump.

My curiousity is peaked - I'll drive by and let you know (provided you can get the street address).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

How'd you get a visa for entry to the US with no employer or business?

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
one word: family and friends.

ok that was three.

nevermind

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
If you have enough to cover first/last month's rent + security deposit, and a clean credit rating... you shouldn't have too much problem. Just dress nicely when you go for an application so they don't think you're a bum... ;)

Brent_H

Second Unit
Scott, I will work on getting that address. It seems odd that they just don't list it on the site? Oh well. But yeah, that would be fantastic if you could drive by there sometime.. :)

Leila, I actually live at home right now. 21. Saving money to move to Cali. lol

Kirk, I can for sure pull that off I think. I've heard from some friends that you need to show your income is double that of the rent price...I suppose it varies from place to place. If I can get my parents to co-sign or something, maybe it won't be a problem.

I guess it won't hurt to ask, anyone know of anyone who is leasing out a basement or somethin? I am a good fella, or else I wouldn't be a member of the HTF! haha. its true! :)

thanks everyone.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Brent - That's cool, I'll check it out. I empathize with you because I once had to move out to L.A. without knowing much about the area as well. I'll check it out this weekend (likely Saturday) and will bring my digital camera to take a few pics. If this place doesn't work out, I'm sure you'll be able to find something else. By the way, aren't you the same person who was posting a few months back about moving to L.A. for reasons related to working in the entertainment industry?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Gotcha, okay :) Well, I know when I got my first apartment (I'm only 23 so it wasn't that long ago) I was working part time and they required first and last month's rent. Most of the places required a co-signer which I couldn't get (my parents disapproved of me moving out of the dorms). Anyway, you might have luck if you have a co-signer as well, if your parents are up for it. After you get a job and get settled and it's time to renew your lease you should be able to do it on your own.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
get the apartment while working at your current job, lie about not having a job, say you're moving there to work for the same company or something :)

Brent_H

Second Unit
Scott...That would be very cool if you could do all that...pending I can get ahold of that address. Yes, I'm the one who posted about moving to LA to get into the entertainment biz, which is still my goal, it just might take a little longer than expected to get the schooling I need.

Leila...I might not find a co-signer either. My parents aren't too keen with the dropping out of school (for now) and not getting my degree. They don't think I will ever go back, for life will get in the way. Who knows. They may be right.

Philip...I don't know if thats the best foot to start on...but thats exactly what might happen. My company is looking to startup some of the same operations in Orange County as we are doing here. Best case scenario, they could possibly even move me out there to help train people and what not. I'm crossing my fingers.

Jason L.

Second Unit
I moved to Charlotte and Dallas without having a job lined up.

The key thing is your credit. If it's OK, you're in. If not, well.....

Of course this doesn't apply to rent-controlled places like NYC, etc.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I've done it more than once. I quit my fulltime job and moved to ND for college, all they seemed to care about was my income at THAT instant, no concern for when I had no income.
If nothing else make up a job, they aren't going to call and check :)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't assume anything, but you probably already know that.

Assuming (ha, ha) that you're going to load up your car and drive out, it might be easier to get a hotel room and a job at McDonalds until you get something together.

You don't want to lie on an application. There is the very remote possibility that they will check you job, or that the person reading it knows someone at this job you don't have.

Glenn

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Brent - Just wanted to let you know that I am in Santa Monica right now and will be leaving tomorrow afternoon (Sunday). If you can get me the address, I'll swing by on my way out and snap some digital pictures of the surrounding neighborhood for you.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
We're letting Brits into the country? I thought we had quotas to prevent this sort of thing!

(Joking!)

Brent_H

Second Unit
Scott:

Wasn't able to get ahold of the address...bum deal. Oh well, thanks for the offer, nonetheless. I really appreciate it :)

Grant:

I visit that site daily! It's a great resource and I'm sure I'll use it more than once. Are you the Grant that I bought the vinyl from awhile back??? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks