How Do You Measure 115dB?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GeorgeGA, Feb 8, 2005.

1. GeorgeGA

GeorgeGA Auditioning

I have ETF5 with their calibrated mic and preamp, Behringer FBD, and Servodrive Contrabass with bridged Crown K2. I have achieved a nice curve at around 80dB.

Apparently ETF cannot be used to generate high dBs. How would I go about seeing what my curve looks like at 100++dB? Would buying TrueRTA do the trick?

Thanks,
    George

2. Ilkka R

Ilkka R Second Unit

Just raise the volume and the curve should rise. Just calibrate input signal lower so that it won't clip.

All though I do recommend buying TrueRTA, it's QS option is very good.

3. JamesDB

JamesDB Stunt Coordinator

The problem is not (just) the input signal, it's the microphone. With volume that high it will not be able to return correct results since it's being overdriven.

But you are right, your EQ curve will look slightly different at higher volumes, however you would need a dynamic parametric eq to correct for that. The difference however will probably not be that big.

J

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A second point would also be a more literal interpretation of the question. [​IMG]

Use ear-plugs or rifle-range head-sets.

5. Ilkka R

Ilkka R Second Unit

What mic you have then? If it's overdriven, then you have to buy a better one.

Behringer ECM8000 is a very cheap but good mic, it can read levels up to 120dB.