What's new

How do you like your Dahlquist speakers (1 Viewer)

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Dennis, Good Luck with your new speakers. Have a great weekend playing with your new toys... I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a set :)

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. OK I haven't been in this thread before this but I've been reading all the comments about the Dahlquist's.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set. Ended up getting the QX10s, QX-60 center, and QX4s for the surrounds. Am using my Boston Acoustics VR400 sub. The Dahlquists are replacing Klipsch KG4.5s, 1.5s and KV-2 center (I believe).

All I can say is wow! Have only been listening for a couple of hours but am duly impressed. I thought Klipsch were the bomb, but these are blowing them away.

This has been a painful month on my wallet. New SHure cartridge for my JVC QL-Y66F turntable. New SACD player (SCD-C555ES), Outlaw ICBM-1, tons of new SACDs, and of course the speakers. My tax refund helped... Well you get the picture!

At any rate, I think the upgrade bug is no longer irritating me anymore ;) .

Last note, I don't have enough good things to say about Marc's demeanor getting these speakers to me.

Later guys, I'll try and have more thoughts on the speakers as I break them in.

Rick

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Rick!

Congrats on the QX10's, they are really great and you cant knock the price / performance ratio here!! (smile!).

They constantly amaze me....

www.telarc.com has several new SACDS's..was listening to them last night...can buy them from their site....really great stuff.

The bass on these QX10's is really awesome...nice and tight if your used to 'boomy' bass and muddy low end, these are not the speakers for you!!

Alex

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Count me among the Dahlquist owners, I received mine on Friday. Needless to say I had a great weekend :)

QX10 Mains
QX60 Center
QX20 (4) Surrounds

This setup is fantastics for HT! :D I was planning to use it 80+% for HT, but the QX10's are so good I spent a lot more time enjoying music than I intended.

Speakers I had been considering were: Paradigm Studio 100's, B&W 604's and Monitor Audio S8's. To me, the QX10's are competitive with all three, regardless of price. If price was NOT an issue, I MIGHT have leaned towards the Studio 100's, but... I got a 7 speakers for less than the price of the 100's. Plus, the QX10's do not have the slight graininess in highs that is major flaw I have found with the 100's. The Dahlquist's also sound incredible with only 100 wpc.

I'm at work and short of time, but wanted to share my positive experience. I hope to expand upon my initial impressions soon.

And of course, Marc at the Audioshop was great to work with.

Leon

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Clyde, I believe there are no U.S. distributors.

Audioshop.on.ca is the authorized Internet distributor.

It is quite a leap to buy speakers without hearing them, but I've been exceptionally pleased with my QX10's, QX60 center, and QX20 surrounds.

For a while I have been planning to write a comprehensive evaluation, but I've been too busy - listening to music & watching movies :D :D

Leon O

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
As much as people might disagree with me I wouldn't hesitate to say the QX10's sound VERY similar to the Paradigm Studio 100's. Heck I have the Studio 40's and find the QX10's sound better. Of course MSRP the QX10's are more expensive, but I paid about the same for both. They are excellent!

Clyde Metz

Agent
IMHO I felt that the Paradigm Studio 60 sounded better than the 100's. I was looking at the Q10's but if they are simular to the Paradigm 100's I would not be happy.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Clyde, I think the QX10's image well, similar to the Studio 100's, but do not have the slight granularity in the highs that I found to be the biggest drawback of the Studio 100's. However, the QX10 tweeters are not as laid back as say the B&W 604's. The highs just sound natural with no obvious coloration. The mid's are sweet... Instruments and vocalists are presented distinct layers so that each can be a star. In my room I feel fairly close to the musicians - sometimes I have to check to see if my surrounds are on, it seems so real and encompassing. Some listeners may prefer a deeper soundstage, but I usually don't pay extra to sit further away from the stage :)

The QX10's are only one or two notes short of reaching the depths of the 100's, but the Dahl's hit their lows with authority, even with a modest receiver (Marantz 7200). There's actually a slight exageration to the bass in the kick drum region that is awesome for rock. However, for jazz I plug one of the rear ports to get the tightest bass I've heard at any SANE price level(granted I have not heard Rockets). For music I no longer have the urge to turn on my SVS.

The rest of the QX series is very good for HT and well timber matched for the QX10's. However, it is the QX10's that really stand out as exceptional.

Leon

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
James, I use rolled athletic socks. I stick them in just far enough to be secure.

I can't think of the name, but I've been using the 1996 Diana Krall, track six?, just before jumpin' jive as one of my bass demos. When I block the top port I lose a little ooph and depth, but I'd swear the upright bass is in my living room. :)

Of course, for rock I enjoy a bit more "slam" so the plugs are removed.

I'd like to hear what you think of my inexpensive tweak.

Have Fun!

AllenLC

Agent
Hi Folks,

I have a full set of Dahlquists' set up in 7.1. QX10 Fronts, a QX60c Center and 4 QX6. See my system at http://users.adelphia.net/~allen22/page_3.htm . I need to update my page and add the Infinity BU2 Sub.
Anyone Bi-wired yet. If so how about a report?

After being fully impressed I asked marc about speaker settings of Large or Small. As he suggested I have all of them @ Large. MAN! You need to have a receiver that has the horse power to run them that way. Marc's comments below. I hope he does not mind.

The bass is quite remarkable on the QX6 and my preference would be to run them as large. Do try them both large and small though to see what you prefer. The advantage of running them as large keeps all the channels discrete and
gives the best overall clarity. The advantage of running them as small is that it eases the work load on the Onkyo receiver; the bass frequencies would be re-routed to the subwoofer output so the Onkyo has an easier workload of just having to reproduce the mids and highs and the heavy duty bass work is done by the amplifier in the subwoofer. My opinion though is that just muddles the subwoofer up by having to try and reproduce more information than it has to. I think your Onkyo has plenty enough horsepower to run them as large. Regards, Marc

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
My 10's are bi-wired, not sure if it helps or not. I will try the sock trick soon, I have all the Diana Krall discs I'll look into which song that is.

As far as running large, I'm not sure, I like my studio 40's as small and they are rather hefty speakers. I am using a Denon 4800 with a POA-5200 amp as well so power isn't much of an issue. I just find my sub is capable of providing clean output when needed.

Marc H

Second Unit
Clyde,
They do have some dealers in the US but not a huge network yet. If you shoot the nice folks at Dahlquist an email at [email protected] they should be able to tell you if there is one in your area yet.

Leon,
I like the sock idea. Can you get them closer to a rear wall like that?

Late addition:
Clyde, I asked them about dealers in Florida and they told me a place called Brandsmart should have them.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Marc, in my room, the front of the speakers are about 3 feet from the wall, but are fairly close to the side walls, equipment rack, RPTV and SVS Sub. In an ideal world, they would have more room to breath. That may be why I hear some exagerated low bass. (I don't consider it boom because it is quite low and musical. After spending the 90's with several near competition level car stereos I know boom...lol)

I think blocking one port will allow the speakers to be placed closer to the wall. And, best of all, it's an inexpensive experiment. I have not experimented with blocking both ports.

I'm interested to see how James and his QX10's make out in a different environment.

Leon

Bill Kolp

Grip
AllenLC

I see in your setup that you are using the Onkyo SR800. Did you set it to 4 ohms for the QX10s ?? I have the SR800 and have been looking for a 7.1 system with 8 ohms. The only reason being I have no direct knowledge of how the receiver would handle the 4 ohm load. What is your experience.

AllenLC

Agent
My Experiences, You asked For It.

The Onkyo TX-SR800 is well equipped to run a 4 ohm load. It is and has been a real strong running receiver. I have all large Dahlquists' and they are set to large. The QX10s' are 4-ohm required and all the others are 6-ohm required. The manual says (P.41) "Even if one speaker in the system is between 4 & 6 Ohms, select 4 Ohms.
I do not have the ideal listening room. The system is in a corner. The QX10s' are just 4' apart. The surrounds are not evenly distanced from my head but I have configured them fairly well. (SPL Meter & DVD coming) And lastly the 6th & 7th channels are behind us in a corner side by side. Let me tell you that we enjoy some awesome entertainment.
We will be getting another house in a couple of years and it WILL have the correct kind of room for this. Even without an ideal room I just can't say enough. I give lots of credit to Onkyos' 800 series Receiver and DVD player combo, pushing the very nice Big Dahlquists set to large. We listened to Pearl Harbor on the loud side. The battle scenes were KILLER. We heard planes coming in from behind us a tad before we see could them fly by. The Onkyo sends great signals to the Infinity BU2 sub shaking the couch at times. The inspirational music penetrates the soul. I may have made up for the not so perfect room with Horse Power in both component and speaker wise.
Signed, Lovin It

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I think I'll try this tonight, I feel like some good jazz!

Your talking about "Baby Baby All the Time" I'll listen to that!

Bill Kolp

Grip
Thanks Allen, You have bolstered my comfort zone. I will audition the Dahlquist QXs with more conviction now that I know the 4-ohm setting does not effect any sound quality of the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks