What's new

How do you know if pre/pro can handle sacd or dvd-a? (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hi all..

Maybe I should put it this way, if a pre/pro does sacd, can it also do dvd-a and vice versa? If not why, and if so what pre/pro does support both formats?

Hope I didn't open a can of worms, thanks

R~

RicP

Screenwriter
Rhett,

Basically if a pre/pro has 5.1 channel inputs it can do either DVD-A or SACD. If it has 2 sets of those inputs it can do both, but if it has only one, you'll need a switchbox or some other way to switch between the two formats if you decide to get both.

Of course if you're just interested in stereo SACD and not multi-channel, then you want to make sure that the pre/pro has "analog bypass" or "tone direct" mode in addition to the 5.1 channel inputs.

That way you can run the DVD-A into the 5.1 channel ins, and the stereo SACD into the CD input and set that input to use the "analog bypass" mode.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks for the responce!

One more question are there any pre/pro's out there that have two sets of 5.1 inputs?

Thanks

R~

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Rhett,

To the best of my knowledge only the top end Denon and some Sony receivers have dual 5.1 inputs.

I know of no preamp/processors with dual 5.1 inputs.

Shawn Fogg sells a switch box for around US$200 that can handle this for you. If you dig for his name here or at AVS you can find info on it.

Regards,

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
John..

Thanks for the quick responce. I will be digging around for his name.

Thanks again!

Rhett

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks