What's new

How do you fit compression banana plugs? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I got some banan plugs for my speaker wire and they are compression type and was wondering how do I attach them to the wire. They are the Accoustic Reasearch gold ones, if that helps. Got them from Accesories 4 Less and I didn't get any instructions.

Jeff

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I looked at some at Radio Shack and it seemed to me that you unscrew them, feed the speaker wire through, spread out the strands, and screw them back together.
On the other hand, I should probably have let somebody who's done this before answer. :)

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, that's kinda what I figured. I don't think I like those kind very much.

Jeff

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I like those kind very much.
Might I ask Why?

I was using Monster Twist-crimp, but the 12 ga wire would pull out from the ear-level connections every few weeks. Once I found the compression-style bananas, I thought I was in heaven. They make a solid connection, it's easy to be neat (very important for speaker wires), and they are so easy to hook/un-hook.

So I'm curious why you dont like them as well.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I just got some compression plugs from PartsExpress @ "Pro-Tech" designed for up to 8 and 10gauge and they aren't what I expected. They have a side hole and a loose cylinder slug inside.

I can see using the side hole and tightening down on the wire. But I cant figure what secures the wire if it goes into the shaft from the bottom of the plug with the slug in the shaft. Bob, any idea?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Bill - I think the hole on the bottom is for another banana plug to fit into. You dont put wire into it.

Use the side hole. Stick some stripped wire into the side and note how much sticks out the other side. Trim the wires so there is no excess poking out.

Radio Shack has a nice single-banana (xxx-306) that un-screws into 2 parts. You shove wire into the BACK end until it pokes out the top. You fold the copper strands over the top then screw down the the top section to clamp onto the wires. (It has space for it). Use this type if you prefer the wires coming out the back end of the plug.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I guess the main reason i don't like them is I can't figure out how to work them right. The dumb factor I guess. I asked another HTF guy to come help me out and when he gets them to work maybe they will be okay. The ones with the screw to secure the wire seem easier to operate and I guess that's why I like them. When I get home I'll see if I can figure out how to work them and maybe change my mind.

Jeff

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the type that bob describes in post6 is the type that i use. they work great. very solid connection, no chance of stray wires sticking out, and very inexpensive. you can't beat them for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks