What's new

How do you count your DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Even dvd-profiler lets you enter boxsets as one title or you can add them seperatly for each movie in the set. I'm kind of past discussing who has the most DVDs though, I dont think it's particulary important to know how many I have. I got everything entered in DVD-profiler, so I won't lose track, and that'll do for me.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
It does depend.

A single disc counts as 1.
If it is double sided, say with Revenge of the Nerds 1 and 2, it is counted as 2
Minority Report is only 1, even though it has 2 disc.
Season 1 of Simpsons is 1, not 3
While if a show is season 1 and 2, it counts as 2.

Ryan

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
First on my fingers, then toes. If that isn't enough, I have to get a friend to help or give up.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I too count per title. TV show seasons as 1.

Here are some exceptions, though:

The Prisoner series I bought in 5 2-disc sets. I count the entire series as 5. Same with The Thunderbirds. I have the first 6 volumes of The Twilight Zone - which I count as 6, even though when I buy the upcoming first season I would count that as 1.

The Total Movie 40-movie box set, which has 20 double-sided discs with 2 movies per disc. They are mostly public domain movies, and while I dig through the set fairly regularly, I still count it as 1.

Desperado/El Mariachi - both films on one double-sided disc. I count this as one. Same for all double features when they are packaged in one plastic/cardboard case. The only exception I make to that is Back to the Future and the John Waters double features.

Also, I count the Airport franchise set, with four films on 2 discs, as 1.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I have 3 counts on my website (which is down right now).

Spines - Godfather, TV Sets, Single DVDs, etc all count as 1.
Movies - By individual films for movies (ie, Godfather = 3) or by discs for TV sets with multiple episodes per disc (ie, Buffy/Angel Sets = 6)
Discs - This one's pretty obvious. Not really important for how many DVDs I own, but an interesting stat.

When people ask me how many DVDs I have, I usually tell them both spines and movies to put things in perspective. Spines usually seems a little low, and movies seems a little high.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I remember a few years ago here someone asked the same question. One of the replys was once you hit 500 you stop counting and when someone asks how many you have you just say I'm not sure just not enough.

Without thinking i did the same thing when I blew by 500 I just started loosing track of the numbers.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
By title or UPC code, that's about it. I have so many multi-disc sets that if I counted by disc I could almost triple my total number. But since I don't count by disc, it's a moot point.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I count by spines. Mostly. Very few exceptions.

X-Men Collection gets counted as 1 title because it's packaged as one big collection.

The Mummy boxed set has TWO movies, in their individual slipcases.

Firefly and Freaks and Geeks I count as one title each.

Mummy aside, I count each purchase. So for example when I picked up Freaks and Geeks and 61*, that counts as two, despite being seven disks in total.

Counting disks is pointless IMO.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
As Chevy Chase would say, "By height."
Seriously though, 1 movie = 1 DVD. The 4 disc SE of Black Hawk Down is 1 DVD. The Toy Story 2 Disc Two Pack is 2 DVD's.

Edwin K

Auditioning
I count box sets as one, no matter how many movies it is. If someone askes how many I just say lots. I have slowed down my buying habits because I get the feeling the next big thing (whatever that might be) will replace them anyway.

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
When I look at dvd aficonado it says: 290 listings, 306 titles
Does that mean I have 290 spines and 306 actual movies. I would count but I would rather watch a movie.:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I seperate mine by each movie. No matter if it comes in a set or not. The Alien quadrilogy has a ton of discs but only four movies. That counts as four movies. Then I count my televsion shows in seasons. Then I have a seperate count for all the miscellaneous stuff like concerts,sports stuff and car stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks