What's new

How do you count your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Hi Everyone,
I just realized that most people have an exact count of their DVD collection, and I am wondering, how do you guys count them?
For example:
"A Nightmare On Elm Street Boxed Set" has 8 DVDs, but only 7 movies, do you guys count 8 or 7?
Another example:
Fight Club 2 DVDs = 1 movie. Does it count for 1 or 2 DVDs?
Last and final example, what if a DVD came with TWO movies on it instead of one, would you count the extra movie for another DVD or just count it as one?
Example:
Wishmaster 1 & 2 (ONE DVD = TWO MOVIES) Would you count them as TWO DVDs or 1???

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I count individual movies. I have at last count over 45 multidisc sets, but each set is only one movie(or in the cases of Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box and Fantasia Anthology, two films) I have 125 DVDS now. If II counted the second discs, I would have close to 180.
------------------
card11.jpg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have 777 discs, and I forget the exact number of "movies" I have, but it is something like "773". Why the quotes around the 2nd number. Well, follow along...
For every "supplement-only" disc like the Fight Club one you mention, there is also a "Fantastic Voyage/Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" double-feature disc out there, with multiple movies on it.
What REALLY gets confusing is, say, The Sopranos. How many "titles" do you claim there? What about the MTV 20 music video discs...especially if you have the box set like me? Where does the supplement disc for "Planet of the Apes" box set fit it...it was broadcast separate from the movies and was just re-issued by Image as a separate release (doesn't the new one have *2* discs in fact?).
Therefore, I go with the number of discs. It's safer and simpler.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Personally I really go with counting titles, as in the James bond box set is one title, although I see the logic of counting the movies within, I am basically to lazy to go over it again, and also there are a few grey zone examples as already mentioned. Once upon a time when I only had below 100 titles or so, I went through the trouble of counting the discs for my DVD tracker page, but once I realized the total would be upped by two for two disc sets of one movie, I also thought it was misleading, and I went back to counting one title, no matter how many movies they contain.
------------------
"You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
DVD List Link Removed

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Like the Count on Sesame Street, One..., Two..., Three DTS DVDs Ha, Ha
wink.gif
, seriously most shelves hold a certain amount without forcing another one in. Mine fits about 25 and I count 7 rows (175) for me. Whoa 175 I just did the math I think I better head to the Software Trade side and change some of them up.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I only count the actual movies/concerts/documentary/whatever.
The way it's packaged doesn't effect my count.
Example: Toy Story Ultimate Box I only count as 2 movies.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I use that funny looking 'E' button on my Excel spredsheet.
I think that you should have titled this 'Do you count your movies or DVD's? Going any farther past that gets messy, as noted above.
I have to go by the physical DVD's, because I have 2 changers, and I'm going to be knee deep in shit when I get to 600. Current count 392.
You could start an arguement with Star Trek, TOS vs. Stargate, SG-1 First season. 2 per disk or 5? Can I count each of them as one? NO? Ok, why not? (The problem with this whole arguement though is that these are not movies, but TV shows). Can we count those? Oh, shit! Now I have to start my count over!
Glenn

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I count just the movies within a boxed set, but not the extra disc with it. My boxed set of Jazz is only counted as one since this is the only way this title is available.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i count mine 2 ways. actual purchases, then actual disks. like the die hard trilogy i count as 1 purchase on my list, but then i add 6 disks to my count.
so my current count is this:
147 Titles
202 Discs
(what is a little sad is that star trek stuff accounts for 39 of those titles)
------------------

D

DAN NEIR

I count individual movies/shows on my dvds. The Fly/Fly 2 dvd counts as 2. The X-Files box set counts as 24 or 25. Army of Darkness Limited Edition counts as 2, 1 for the american release and 1 for the european release. All together I count 300 titles.

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I count only movie titles. I use DVD Profiler and enter in both the box set title as well as the individual movie titles. I don't assign a profiler number to the box title but I do assign one to each individual movie title. My most recent profiler number tells me how many DVD's I have. The only time I asign a number to a supplement disc is if it has it's own title (i.e. The Alien Legacy or Behind the Planet of the Apes). The 3 disc set of Brazil I count as one DVD. The Planet of the Apes Box I count as six DVD's.

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
I count the individual movies not the number of DVDs - The Toy Story set really mucked things up for me cos it was difficult to fit into my database.
I tend not to count things like TV Shows or Music DVDs either - not sure if I am trying to kid myself about the money I spend or not
wink.gif

I only really have a couple of Metallica DVDs and the Sopranos Season 1 set which fit into that category but if the number increases (Simpsons, Sopranos Season 2 etc) then I'll probably start another database for them.
Don
[Edited last by Don Myles on August 27, 2001 at 10:16 AM]

David Oliver

Second Unit
Basically, if it is a box set but the individual discs can be bought separately - Die Hard Trilogy, then that counts as three - I count the discs. But if it is multi-disc that cannot be bought separately - Brazil Criterion is one title only - then it is one title. Some TV series, like the X-Files cannot be bought separately, so although it is 7 discs, I only count it once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks