What's new

How do you arrange your dvd titles? (1 Viewer)

ace peterson

Second Unit
Not sure if this post should be here (or maybe poll section), admin. correct me if need be. But I thought it might be interesting to hear how some of you arrange your dvd titles. Myself, I arrange them by studio (Fox, Columbia, Warner Bro., etc) and my family scratches their collective heads at that. I like it that way.

So how do you all do it? Alphabetically? By color? By genre? Favorites here and lesser fav's there? Chronologically? By Actor/Actress?

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
By its UPC bar code. :D
Just kidding I also do the alpha thing starting with the Numbers first. (15 Minutes, 2001, ect ect ect)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I put the box sets in chronological order (oldest title in box gives it its place), then the rest of the DVD's are chronological. Compilation discs such as the Walt Disney Treasures and Three Stooges are placed where the oldest short would be (Silly Symphonies goes between 1928's The Circus and 1930's All Quiet on the Western Front).

My box sets go from Charlie Chaplin Box Set (Image) to The "Ultimate" Beatles Box set (actually pretty good, from MPI) and the regular DVD's go from The Cabinet of Caligari (Image) to Planet of the Apes (2001).

My Walt Disney Treasures tins go on the bottom shelf, and I put the 2-disc cases among the regular titles. I prefer tins to be put on the bottom shelf if a regular case is inside, mainly because I lost the paper "bracelets" which went around them.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I have the snappers (along with the Digipak 2-disc sets) together in alphabetical order, the Criterions together organized by director/genre (spine number or alphabetical order doesn't seem right for Criterions), and the rest of the keepcases together in alphabetical order.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I organize my collection by genre or actor. some examples of my categorization: Animation, Chow Yun Fat, Bruce Lee, Jet Li, 7 Fortunes, Stephen Chow, Contemporary HK, Old school HK, American, Misc..

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Generally by studio. It looked kinda cool as long as most studios had coonsistent spines, but of course that had to change.

They are still organized by studio though, but each time I start to run out of shelving space, it's reorganizing time, and then I won't find what I'm looking for for the next week or so...

Still, the occasional reorganization is still fun for me, geeky as it may sound.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
With young ones still at home I broke the sort in three sections, Those Rated G, then PG/PG13 and R.

I also just picked up a nice Oak 5 shelf stand from Kmart, for about $26, holds 125 DVDs, so that left about 50 DVDs to find other places to rest until I think of a better place, but it worked well as I only put the G and PG/PG13 titles on that stand, with them sorted alphabetically but grouped in the G ratings at the top and then the PG/PG13 after that, works well.

I'd loved to buy keep cases and trash all those snapper cases to keep consistent!

G2

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
Strictly alphabetically, in order of how DVD Profiler spits them out. Box sets go to the end (Fantasia, Ultimate Toy Box, MM Diamond Collection1), although the movies in the boxes are alphabetical.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I've got 4 sections in this order:

1. Movies I've watched already (in alphabetical order).

2. Television stuff (like Monty Python, X-Files, Sopranos etc.) (in sort of, almost, alphabetical order)

3. Music Video or Concert Videos (alphabetical by music artist)

and

4. DVDs I've bought but have not watched yet (this section has no organization whatsoever except that the newer purchases are usually on the right.

The only thing unique about this is that on the far right side of the bottom two shelves are the "decoy" discs. These are made up of 4 or 5 discs or empty cases that have no value to me whatsoever just in case my dog decides to grab a DVD like he did when he was new, then he will probably chew up something worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks