What's new

How do we get Paramount to add DTS? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does the Superbit "Air Force One" use different masters? I could tell there were some differences between the DD and DTS tracks, especially during the refueling scene.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You should hope they use different masters. The Dolby Digital video master is sometimes dumbed down for 2 channel downmixing and other things.
You don't want them using that master for the DTS track!
This is what Universal did the first time with Jurassic Park and it was a disaster!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit
If I'm not mistaken, Paramount doesn't use DTS on the majority of their Theatrical prints. That should be a good indicator...

-->Edit: Nevermind. My brain is thinking SDDS not DTS.

Robert George

Screenwriter
You should hope they use different masters. The Dolby Digital video master is sometimes dumbed down for 2 channel downmixing and other things.
Now Dan, we've been through this before. I don't know what the "other things" are you refer to, but in those rare instances where a soundtrack master has been reconformed to accomodate downmixing ("dumbing down" you called it?), it makes absolutely zero difference on a properly configured audio system.
But I know you know that. You just like to bring it up once in a while for those that don't know that.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice to see Paramount do DTS, but in reality the only studios who embrace the format to a great extent are Fox, Universal, and Dreamworks. The other studios apparently have different opinions on the value of DTS as a sound format/marketing tool. If Paramount gives us their best sound mix for the DD track, why is it necessary to add DTS? A quality DD mix will sound virtually the same as the same mix being encoded in half bit rate DTS (full bit DTS may make a slight difference though).
I think the question that should be asked though is "How do we get Paramount to lower the MSRP on their bare bones discs?" With so many other studios giving added features such as DTS tracks, Paramuont is way behind in the price/value department.
J

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Never heard of dumbing down the Dolby Digital video master for downmixing. My TV must lack this feature. :)
There's no reason anymore why we can't have our cake and eat it too (especially doing full bitrate DTS 24/96 or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
Nothing apart from no one using full bit-rate DTS, no theatrical material that could use 24/96 DTS, the questionable value of a 24/96 lossy format in the first place (not that we can judge as no software actually exists yet) and an extremely limited selection of material that would require DTS ES in any form.
Adam

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've ever been disappointed with an audio track on a Paramount DVD (except where the source materials were dodgy). Even their 5.1 remasters of old films always seem to come out better than those of other studios.
One of my very favourite discs - Sleepy Hollow - has such a gorgeously crisp, detailed soundtrack. Never overblown, just balanced and clean. And it's DD. Would DTS make it sound any better? I doubt it, and even if it did it might be to the detriment of that super-sharp video transfer.
Perhaps Paramount just don't want to do DTS. Perhaps it really is as simple as that.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
i wish I had DTS to compare trl. man. I don't have any $$ though, for a new reciever and dvd player. Anyway, I'm happy with DD, VERY happy. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have DTS and think it's better sounding, listen to DTS, if not, DD ROCKS as well.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Obi (or anyone else),
Have you been able to compare the video of Apollo 13 DTS to the video of the DD version? Are they exactly the same?
I realize this is slightly off the topic.
[Edited last by Dave H on November 12, 2001 at 07:47 PM]

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Dave,
the video on Apollo13 DTS is softer than the DD version. Some would say blurry. The DD version had quite a bit of EE in some scenes. I would have to recheck whether the DTS seemed softer because it had less EE, or whether it actually had less detail. I think it was a bit of both.
Regards
Bjoern

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
Paramount did allow Titanic to be released on a DTS laserdisc. However, it was Pioneer and DTS who did all the work - Paramount really had no part in it, except 'allowing' it to happen and collecting the roylaties.
------------------
David W. Anderson - [email protected]
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks