What's new

How do we get Paramount to add DTS? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: Humans have only two ears, so why the hell do we need 6+ audio channels?[/quote] We may only have two ears, but what we hear comes from more than two points in space.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on November 09, 2001 at 09:15 AM]

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
Wotta difference a smiley makes, huh?
biggrin.gif
But really, give me uncompressed PCM over DD/DTS anytime.
Anton

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Anton, spoken like a person who obviously does not have a DD or DTS system.
I mean come on, are you ACTUALLY arguing against the virtues of multichannel set-ups!?!?
Give it up, you cannot win that one, not here.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright Anton, fair enough. It's just that in my own experiences, those that put down something, has not had it, or tried it themselves.
And hey, if you actually prefer 2 channel stereo, to full, rich, enveloping, thrilling, and awe inspiring 5.1, more power to you. :)
But, and I think I can say with a fair degree of certainty, that, in this entire forum, you are COMPLETLY alone in that. Even those that don't have it, at least want it.
------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 09, 2001 at 10:34 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on November 09, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

Brian-W

Screenwriter
what practical advantages does 754kbps DTS offer over 448kbps Dolby Digital? I can't think of any.
And neither can Warner Brothers who apparently found deficiencies with the half-rate DTS. Think I'm wrong? We have four DTS titles during a short time frame and then poof! that's it.
I'm not going to rehash it again, but in the UK magazine "Home Cinema" they did a DTS vs. DD (half bit rate DTS) and talked with the Warner Bros. engineers who encoded Twister, Lethal Weapon, etc. There were problems with the DTS encoders, etc. and the half-bit rate was inferior to DD (especially in the bass department).
It wasn't a biased article, but rather (a surprise!) a balanced objective one for a magazine. According to Warner Bros. there are only three DTS titles on the market that use the same mix, and are truly balanced at 0db (no +3db on surrounds that the DTS encoders produced, etc.). It is the Lethal Weapon series, and these titles are apparently the only ones in which a DD vs. DTS comparison that is 'fair' can be made.
To each his own, at this point I just want a good soundtrack, DTS or not.
-Brian

YANG

Screenwriter
"...but Paramount will release their first DTS disc within the next year..."
yeah...yeah....yeah...right...the kid flicks right???

David Judah

Screenwriter
...and are truly balanced at 0db (no +3db on surrounds that the DTS encoders produced...
You must have pulled that article out of the archives. That was before mixing for Home Theater was more or less standardized and hasn't been an issue for a long time.
Of course, we all know where WB and Paramount stand on the DTS issue, and as also pointed out, it is a minority position in the current market.
DJ

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Carl, when was the last time you saw someone in this forum say that they actually PREFER 2 channel over 5.1?
I don't know about you, but this was my first.
------------------
God bless you.
God keep you.
God help you!!!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
DTS affects picture quality? Isn't THIN RED LINE,that runs about 170mins with FULL BITRATE DTS5.1 have picture quality that is as stable as the first edition? Now i am puzzled!
You forget that the DTS TRL is BAREBONES. The original DD TRL had a Melanesian songs exerpt, which was removed from the DTS version to make more space for the soundtrack.
Also remember that Dances With Wolves had full bitrate DTS, and was split into 2 discs, unlike the DD version.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
John, as the saying goes "to each his own."
wink.gif

------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Brian,
Have you compared the DD and Corrected DTS versions of Jurrasic Park? If i am not mistaken, the DTS is half bitrate(correct me if i am wrong) and I think many people here will agree that it is MUCH better than the DD version.
[Edited last by Dalton on November 09, 2001 at 03:15 PM]

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ooops, wrong thread.
[Edited last by Ron-P on November 13, 2001 at 11:21 AM]

YANG

Screenwriter
"You forget that the DTS TRL is BAREBONES. The original DD TRL had a Melanesian songs exerpt, which was removed from the DTS version to make more space for the soundtrack."
No,RICHARD...I did not forget about the lost of the extras.In fact,i own both the first and second edition of the THIN RED LINE.
What i am trying(as hard as possible) is to tell the fellow members,including those mastering engineers(???) from those studios which had not JUMP INTO THE DTS POOL...is that somebody(the number 1 choice of HTF) had managed to squeeze in a near 3hr film with two digital surround tracks(full bitrate especially) into one disc...there is absolutely no other reason they the others can't do the same as well.
If the extra features is a very big concern to some collectors,or movie producers...then a 2 disc set release is a better option to attract the consumers' attentions!!!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
That's right Yang. There's no reason anymore why we can't have our cake and eat it too (especially doing full bitrate DTS 24/96 or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1). Telecine colorists are just going to have to learn to master and compress things better.
Some are doing a great job while others (maybe at Paramount, etc.) aren't or won't bother taking the extra steps.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

YANG

Screenwriter
For the sake of stable picture quality and the best of two digital surround world...
I believe that there are lots of folks out there who are willing to see more DTS DVDs,that they wouldn't mind the lost of extras in the main feature disc.
Or am i wrong???

Robert George

Screenwriter
Yang:
It is not a question of being able to make it fit. Obviously it can be done. The question is "at what cost in video quality".
I decided to pull out my copy of Thin Red Line since that is so often sited as proof that full bitrate DTS and Dolby can be used and still maintain quality. It has been quite a while since I have seen this disc, and I suggest anyone using that as an example pull it out again for a refresher.
While you are looking at Thin Red Line, take a look at Fox's own X-Men, the Superbits Fifth Element, Warner's Swordfish, and just about any other high quality disc from the past year. By comparison, I found the video on Thin Red Line to be soft, lacking in fine detail, and having muddy blacks. All signs of rolled off high frequency video.
The real question becomes, how much video quality has been sacrificed on Thin Red Line to accommodate a full bitrate DTS track that offers very little, if any, improvement over the Dolby track.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Yup. I recently took a gander at my Dragonheart DTS DVD. Man, the picture is EXTREMELY soft. Not to mention lacking in much fine detail. The killer is, I don't think the bitrate ever falls below 9.0!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks