What's new

How Do I Value my DVD Collection? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. I need to move fast and get homeowners insurance because I am buying a place that is closing soon. I need to come up with a value for all the DVDs I have. I don't have all my receipts anymore, so I can't go by the ones I have alone. I have about 200 (give or take) titles in my collection. Is there any rule of thumb to determine a value. Is there an avreage cost per title I can use?

Kain_C

Screenwriter
There probably is some kind of report tool you can download if you have DVDProfiler installed to give you a total cost.

Maybe someone more familiar with DVDProfiler can provide add'l info.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
$20 each.

It will average out those $9 dollar bargains with the $29.99 special super mutliple disc editions.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Not familiar with DVDProfiler, but DVDPedia tracks total retail cost of a collection, based on Amazon prices. Should be good for a "replacement value" estimate. If you have a barcode reader (even a $10 Cuecat), it's pretty easy to scan a large number of discs.

Estimating at $20 each obviously doesn't work if you have a lot of TV on DVD. I have 24 seasons of Star Trek to prove that...

-Scott

Pete York

Supporting Actor
It takes just a few clicks in DVD Profiler:

1)From 'Tools' in the top bar, select 'Charts & Graphs'.
2)Select 'Statistics' from that top bar and select 'Genre'.
3)In the 'Genre' sub-menu you can get the total cost you paid for your collection (which you're asked for everytime you add a new DVD) or the total SRP (which is from their database).

Just looking at mine, I have 302 titles and have paid $4948.18. Given a choice between the money or the movies I'll take the movies any day. :D

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Holy crap! I only have about 284 titles and it says I have spent a little over 9 grand!!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Adds up quick, huh?

446 titles, $15819.67 replacement value.
Of course, my collection is miniscule compared to many here.

-Scott

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I figured that $20 per title would be an okay rule of thumb for my collection. I do have a lot of TV on DVD but most of the packages I have were in the $25-$40 range (except for the Twilight Zone Season sets)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I bet the value of some people's collections on this site rivals the GNP of some small countries.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Hmm, I'd have to question the SRP total. I have about 335 titles, and it claims just under $13k for me. That's almost a $40 average ($39.62 according to dvd profiler). I don't believe it, and I seriously doubt an insurance company is going to believe it.

That said, having a list in dvd profiler or some such similar software is a good way to keep track of what you had for insurance purposes, although a few photos to prove that you do indeed have such collection would be good too. Just remember that you don't want to have the only place you have said list and photos be your home.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Makes a guy glad NOT to ever pay full retail. 715 discs (lots of TV on dvd)works out to $24,000...so says my Profiler.. I wouldnt even spend that much on a car! :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
DVD Profiler uses the SRP at the time of initial release. In addition, prices tend to drop over time and some out of print titles go up in price due to scarcity on the used market.

So initial SRP and total paid are good measuring tools, but they are not accurate replacement costs. Current SRP is probably the best measuring stick for replacement cost of DVDs still in release.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I am a big user of DVD Profiler even though my collection only numbers at 194. The SRP and amount paid is an excellent way to determine replacement cost, especially if you have been collection DVDs since their introduction. In those cases, the original SRP which is what is in the database is valid. For those users f profiler who want a more accurate report of SRPs and total paid, head on over to the InterVocative website and search for a report called "DVD Discount Report". It is extremely useful in cases like this.

Doing some digging over there, I found the page of downloads containing the report. Here is a link to go there.Click Here

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned in 'The Top Secret HTF Thread', I try and avoid that stat in DVD profiler as I am afraid it may be in the range of... "could-have-bought-a-Porsche-instead". :eek:

Besides insurance, our extensive whole house monitored alarm system, and a security door w/keypad to our home theater - we also have Coco... a 125lb Rottweiler. :)

All this and yet half the DVDs I lend out I forget about until I check my DVD profiler database.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
I have 3000 DVDs. The reason that I have so many is that I value them more than what they are selling for. The value of your DVDs is whatever YOU would sell them for, not what someone else would buy them for.

Best,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks