What's new

How do I turn off hardware accelration (1 Viewer)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I'm going nuts over this. I'm trying to turn off hardware accelration when playing DVDs on my computer (Compaq 7000 series, Windows ME), so I can make some screenshots. Any suggestions?
--Anders

AllenD

Second Unit
I'm not familiar with Compaqs. What software are you using?
------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Windows ME's internal player, PCFriendly, Compaq DVD Player. Hey, I'll use any player you say will do this for me. I don't really watch DVDs on my computer anyway.
--Anders

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Define "hardware acceleration" in this case. Do you have a hardware decoder? Why is "hardware acceleration" the reason you cannot take screen shots?

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Go to "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display" (or something like that, that's how it is on Win98, not sure about ME).
Click on the "Settings" tab, then "Advanced", then there should be a tab called "Performance". The control for hardware acceleration is on that page, slide it down to "None". And now you should be able to take screenshots of your DVD's :)
Let me know if you have any problems.
Peter

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Peter, I tried that. It doesn't work. What I'm trying to achive is just using a software decoder, which is not the case right now. The computer has a GeForce 2, and I think that's what being used.
--Anders

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Anders, I'd suggest you try a different tack, and rather than trying to grab it that way I'd use Hypersnap DX. There is a free trial version, and that usually does a great job of grabbing the frame. If you leave all your hardware accelleration on you usually end up with the shot in its native resolution as well, for extra quality.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I managed to do it. I had to download a different player which doesn't support hardware acc. Then I could use Hypersnap. Thanks guys!
--Anders
------------------
Link Removed
Ob me Deus cavet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks