What's new

How do I tell it will fit the whole screen? (1 Viewer)

solidte

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
I generally like Blu Ray's that fit my whole screen without bars. When I go to the DVD shops and look at the back of the cover i just get some random numbers tha I don't exactly understand, could someone explain which ones will fit the entire screen. thanks :P

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What is your display/TV? A standard widescreen TV is 16:9 (1.78:1). This is what's used by HDTV shows and movies(OTA, cable, satellite). I don't think there's many Blu-rays that use this aspect ratio, so you'll have bars on most Blu-rays.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
That's a standard widescreen, so what Jim said goes; your best movie choices are those in 1.78 or 1.85 (small bars). 2.35 will have large bars top and bottom, 1.33 (older TV shows) will have large bars right and left.

This is a HT forum, so we have to try and talk you out of you anti bar stance, so here you go - VIEW THE MOVIE AS THE DIRECTOR INTENDED!

But if you really don't want to do that, there are monitor modes that force the screen full, but they either chop off a portion of the picture or they distort the picture. There's usually a FULL setting that just expands the picture to fill the screen (chops off the overhang); I'll get shot for this, but for most movies you won't lose too much when using this option for widescreen movies. If you use this option for TV shows (1.33) then you chop off heads. For 1.33 TV shows there's usually an option (whose name I forget) that keeps the center of the picture at the correct size and expands the edges. This has variable effects, on some shows you hardly notice it; on otheres it looks really bizare.

Astrakan

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson ">[/url]

This is a HT forum, so we have to try and talk you out of you anti bar stance, so here you go - VIEW THE MOVIE AS THE DIRECTOR INTENDED!
[/QUOTE]Indeed. And to that end, let me throw up a link to the old standby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks