How do I make an Amaretto Sour like they do at bars/restaurants?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeffrey Noel, May 29, 2003.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Sep 11, 2001
    There are so many different recipes out there for Amaretto Sours but I just don't know which to use. The one I have used is this: equal parts amaretto liquor and sweet/sour mix and maraschino syrup over ice. It came out good but not near as good as the Amaretto Sours I got at a country club. Damn were they good!

The main reason I ask is that I'd like to make some AS's for my fiance's 21st B-day. They're her favorite drink.

Anyone have a damn good Amaretto Sour recipe?
  2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Feb 11, 2002
    Went here and got a ton of different Amaretto concoctions. You could always start at #1 and see how far into the list you make it [​IMG]
    This one looks like it might be what you are after.
  3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Oct 12, 2000
    All sour mixes are definitely not created equal, so you may have to experiment around to find the best brand for your tastes. I like Dailey's (sp) which is much less sweet than Mr Ts or many of the house brands in supermarkets. It cuts bourbon much better though; not sure which end of the taste spectrum your sours are lacking on.
  4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Aug 16, 1999
    A frequent mistake home bartenders make is adding too much mix and not enough ice. Also, ice made in the freezer trays is typically too dense to make a good drink with since it doesn't melt fast enough. Try shaving or crushing some first. Or go buy a bag - it's worth the buck for a good drink !

My general rule of bartending:

- Fill glass completely with ice
    - Fill 3/4 with booze
    - Fill remaining with mix
    - Only a splash of syruppy stuff (if any is required)
    - for non-carbonated mixes, shake or mix vigorously by pouring back and forth between 2 glasses. The froth adds a nice touch.

If you are making a cocktail with 2 boozes (i.e. White Russian, Margarita, etc), fill the glass halfway with the stronger booze (vodka, tequila, rum, etc), then 1/4 with the liqueur (Kahlua, Triple Sec, etc).

If you are making a drink with multiple boozes (Long Island Ice) mix them in quantities so the end result is about 3/4 of the drink, then add mixers.

For Mixers, I typically use "Finest Call", they don't seem as sweet as others. I also squeeze a ton of fresh limes and lemons and balance the pre-made mix with their juice. Go buy 5 or 6 limes and a couple of lemons, they really add flavor.

My high school homeroom teacher was also my mixology instructor a few years after graduation, so I learned from a master !

Good Luck and Cheers !