What's new

How do I hook this up? (1 Viewer)

Rich Sk

Grip
I have brought home a Denon 3803 receiver, and will be taking delivery of a Mitsubishi Diamond series 55" HDTV. My question is how to hook up the audio to take advantage of digital over the air TV.

I plan on using the receiver as the heart of the system. Right now, the TV audio cabling I brought home consists of one pair of interlinks to output sound from the TV to the reciever. Is this the best way to take advantage of dolby digital audio broadcast on some programs? I have a lot of questions about Dolby Digital, Pro Logic II, etc, but that is another topic. I understand that the TV will have coaxial digital outputs (perhaps optical as well). Do I need to be using these to route the sound to one of the receiver's digital inputs?

Thanks
Rich Skordahl

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
While I don’t know your TV, I assume from your post that the TV has a digital HD tuner and can handle DD (5.1) as well as an NTSC tuner and ability to handle Dolby Surround.

If this is the case, you will run the coax output from your TV to a coax input on your receiver. The receiver will then take care of Dolby variants and analog audio.

However should this not be the case and you are going to use an external tuner for HD (or satellite or cable) you can run coax or optical from that external tuner to your receiver. The Denon will have enough inputs to be able to handle a digital coax from your TV and an optical feed from an external tuner or cable box as well. And enough for a DVD player too.

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forums. I have an RCA Scenium and I just use the optical connection to connect the tv's audio output to my receivers input for OTA HDTV.

Tod

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks