How do I get cloud-based email for all OS X & iOS devices?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveF, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Quote:

Syncing.

All my mail on Apple syncs perfectly across all my OS/iOS devices including individual
    folders I have set up.

What I delete from one immediately does the same for all.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I see I confused everyone :) I use gmail. My domain registration forwards email to the gmail account, and my Mac and iPhone get email from it. The upsides are: gmail is a great spam filter, practically unlimited storage, free, and great web search. The downsides are that iOS doesn't send emails as from my domain (but from gmail), and there are some IMAP oddities with gmail so I can't use folders. My wife uses iCloud. It seems to require server-side storage be disabled to work with local folder organization, and storage is limited/costly (compared to free). My biggest desire is to get I could email from iOS devices sent as if from my domain. The folder weirdness with gmail I've lived with for a few years now, and accept a big fat inbox. I've got some stuff to read through more carefully on this thread :)

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Right, I get all that. I'm saying you just have too many hops. Why aren't you using gmail for domains and just having your devices pull from that directly, rather than doing this forwarding? http://smarterware.org/3628/host-your-domain-email-at-gmail-without-forwarding

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Unfortunately, those are only for "@icloud.com" aliases. Like to create an "htf@icloud.com" name to separate emails from a forum.
    Last time I looked at it, I was put off by the cost (and way before that, I don't think it was available for individuals, as with every other google 'beta' rollout). I need to look again, since the $50/yr may be worth it, and it would preserve my gmail archive.