How do I burn music CDs to DVD-R with my Sony DRU-500A?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Reginald Trent, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I understand a 4.7.gig DVD = seven 700MB CD-Rs. I want to burn music to DVD-R to take advantage of the extra space. What do I need to do this?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    do you mean backup mp3s? you wont be able to record audio like you do to a cd, to a dvd. even if you managed to get the music on there, you wouldnt be able to play the dvd through the cd player. i just received this drive today, and burned my first data dvd, 4.2 gb in about 20 mins or so, pretty fast. i will have to try a dvd video later, as soon as i get my capture card running again. good luck.

CJ

3. Reginald Trent

Thanks guys for the input. However, I just not proficent with this stuff. I also recently got a DV camera that I have questions on. But I'm still lost on the CD-DVD question.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Like they said. You would need to get basic DVD authoring software, and encode each track as a WAV file. Make a simple menu which is linked to said WAV file (48KHz 16-bit stereo) to play them, and you wouldn't be able to do a "play all" without a more advanced package and some scripting

Bottom line, buying a CD changer would probably be oh so-worth it compared to the hassle you're going to put yourself through

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

6. Reginald Trent

Even though you guys are talking over my head, I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll have to read up on this more.