What's new

How Do Digital Receivers (like HK 2005) Handle 4 Ohm Loads? More Power into 4 Ohms? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I get the impression that digital receivers do not handle 4 ohm loads as easily as analog receivers. Some think that digital can acutally put out more power with all channels driven into 4 ohms using ordinary digital receivers.

What about this?

Thanks

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm speaking just from that Panasonic point of view (XR25/45/50/55/70 line).

It is true that they can HANDLE them, but not very well. TI's documents of their chip (the heart to the Panny and some other lines) show that the high frequencies roll off as more power is pumped into a lower impedance speaker, which defeats the whole purpose of a digital receiver all together doesn't it?

If your speakers dip into or below the 4-ohm area, IMHO, you should either wait until digital amps are a bit more developed for consumer use, or look at analog amps (I would wait judging by the Panny receivers quality/price ratio, there is only more to follow).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks