What's new

How do 12 volt triggers work? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I just got a B&K 7270 which has a 12v trigger input on it. My current receiver doesn't have a 12v output but I will be upgrading to the Outlaw 950 when my number comes up. My question is, how does the 12v trigger work? What exactly is it doing. It was my impression that when i turn on my Outlaw, my B&K will automatically come on, and when I turn the Outlaw off the B&K will shut down. If this is true, I understand the turning on part, but at shutdown, the B&K manual told me to turn off the amp before turning off the preamp, and i don't see how this would happen if i was using the 12v trigger. Am i misunderstanding how these work? Or is it really unimportant in which order components are turned on and off in? Thanks for any info.

Aaron

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
When you turn on the receiver, a 12V signal (low amperage) is sent to the other component(s). The components use this source to switch on a rely or logic circuit inside to turn them on. Theses components will likely be in "stand by" mode when off.

Unsure but, I would think that the receiver would have a delay that would shut of the triggers before actually shutting down.

P.S. Don't confuse the output as a 12V power source. It is usually ouputs only milliamps and is not strong enough to power 12V devices.

Bill

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
And a nice trick for folks with amps with a trigger relay input, but no 12v trigger output on receiver.

Check if you have a "switched" power outlet on back of receiver. If yes, go to RadioShack, buy cheapest and weakest (remeber, you do not lot of juice, just some current trickle) 9v convertor, cut out business end of connector. Plug convertor into back of your receiver, and screw wires into terminal input on the amp. Turn on reciver - if your amp switches on, you are done. If not, reverse wires, and try again.

-|

|

|receiver-110vjack--RSconvertor---9v----[AMP]

|

-|

If you want to have more fun, get basic X.10 kit, and use X.10 to turn on/off your amps.

_zjt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks