What's new

How Come Q-Tips Aren't Called Q-Tips Anymore? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
They were never called q-tips. That was just the brand name everyone refers to just like kleenex (facial tissue).

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member

I understand that...I just thought that Johnson & Johnson made the brand "Q-Tips", but as Bill pointed out, they didn't.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Jeff,

There actually IS a product called Kleenex.

cheers!

Josh

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
There actually IS a product called Kleenex.
I think he was referring to the fact that we call products by their most popular brand name. How many people say "pass me a tissue"? We all say "pass a Kleenex" even if it is President's Choice. Same goes for Jell-O and Q-Tips and many other products.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think he was referring to the fact that we call products by their most popular brand name.
such as "Xerox", or "Polaroid", or "Aspirin", or "Walkman"...

"aspirin" has actually lost it's original trademarked status in many countries as a result of overuse in the generic sense. which is why Xerox gets so worked up, as does Sony.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
First dude: "Wanna coke?"
Second dude: "Sure! I'll take a Coke!"
First dude: "Okay, what'll ya have?"
Second dude: "Huh?"
:)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Xerox went through legal Hell a while back, if I recall, trying to get everyone to stop saying "Make me a Xerox" when they were trying to say "go make a photocopy of this"
IIRC, they lost, movies were allowed to continue to use the reference. However, as an example,Canon could not advertise that there photocopiers made "xeroxs" of documents..
The ASPRIN thing I think was actually a case of failing to extend the Trademark, not of the word falling into Public domain.
PS: Intel is currently trying to get a map company to stop marketing their products with a 'map inside' sticker. :rolleyes

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
It's a long story but I'll try to summarize it for you.
Even though Q-tips has been used for years, I think we all realized that it was just a matter of time until there was a revolt.
About 3.5 years ago, the other 25 letters in the alphabet formed an alliance to try to get them used instead of just Q.
When the company that owns the Q-tip product refused to co-operate the 25 other alphabet letter alliance (a.k.a. Alpha Coalition) filed a lawsuit. They were seeking no monetary damage (what can letters do with money?) but they also couldn't agree on who got to the be the next letter before the "tip".
The parent company got pissed and discontinued the trade name "Q-Tip".
And now you know.......the rest of the story.
Sorry Paul ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A strange story above relayed by Mr. Strang....but I liked it! :)
A "P-Tip"?? Hmmmm....this could be perceived badly by some individuals. :laugh:

Dan Galyen

Agent
I don't know why the Alpha Coalition would be so pissed, they do have the "Big O". Are they looking for a monopoly? They should actually revolt against "A". With "AAA" and "AA", OK? "F" is the one with the bad rap, it represents serious suck value...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks