How Can We Get "Northern Exposure" Released on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kipp Teague, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Kipp Teague

Kipp Teague Stunt Coordinator

That the series "Freaks and Geeks" is making it to DVD offers some hope of some day seeing a Region 1 DVD of the series "Northern Exposure." I think we would have already seen this happen were it not for the extensive use of eclectic music throughout the series, and I have heard that the producers are not up to the required music licensing challenge. Somewhere I saw the suggestion that they (the producers) consider a DVD release a dead issue.

At one time there was an active petition at PetitionOnline.com, but this petition no longer shows up in a search within the site (it is reachable via Google however).

Is a DVD release for this series indeed a hopeless cause, or is there something we can collectively do about this?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Universal announced last year in a magazine interview that NE was on the schedule for this year, however there was a buyout after that, so where NE sits right now is unclear. Music rights would be an issue, and I hope they take the time and expense to leave the show intact. As I've stated before, a release of the first and second seasons in one package would be ideal due to the low number of episodes between them compared to the later seasons. I have no doubt this series would be a big seller if not exhorbitantly priced.