What's new

How can so many people be so stupid?? (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

It also doesn't make much sense to me but I guess there's two sides of the coin. Up in Indiana, a man was working (on the clock) for McDonald's when he kidnapped, raped and murdered a 16-year-old co-worker. The man had just been released from prison earlier in the year but I don't think McD should be held responcible for hiring him. In another McDonald's related story, in Louisville one store was being robbed when an employee went to his jacket, pulled out a gun and chased the robber away by firing several shots. To my knowledge, this guy is still in jail for firing the gun while the robber was caught, booked and released. The robber now has a lawsuit against McDonalds.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Back in 1990 I worked at a Subway in Houston during college. On my night off the store received one of these calls. It was all very similar. The caller claimed he was DEA he had police snipers on the roof. He described a female customer (which made us believe later he had a cell phone and was outside somewhere) and asked the employee to perform a strip search. The employee had the girl down to her bra and panties before he figured out he was being hoaxed. Yeah, not the sharpest stick. I guess the whole ordeal was about 20 minutes. The caller talked to the customer too and she was convinced it was all real as well. I think the owner was scared shitless he would be sued, but AFAIK it never happened.

A few weeks later, I got one of these calls on my shift. I told the guy to go F himself and hung up. Then I ran outside to see if someone was talking on a cell phone in their car. Didnt see anyone.

PhillJones

Second Unit

Perhaps they want to participate and see the phone call as a good excuse to sexually abuse an employee. That's certainly true of the fiance of the manager in that story who has been sentanced to five years for sexual abuse.

What shocks me is that the first employee who 'walked out in dusgust.' He obvioulsy knew it wasn't real. Would you have left that girl in there? I know I wouldn't have.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I think you'd just have to know the area. Being from KY, I hate when outsiders use the term white trash but this area probably fits what they're talking about.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Extremely sad. Never underestimate the willingness of the general populous to be led.

I refer to it as the Fletch Syndrome. Assert yourself fully as what ever you wish people to believe you are, and you have great odds that nobody will question it. "Me? My name is John....Cocktoasten. It's Scotch/Romanian"

I'm disgusted at the whole thing, but particularly with the employee who walked out. He had the right instinct, but he didn't follow through with it. So...you call the police and describe what's going on. What's the worst that can happen? They tell you, "yes...stay out of it."

But for the assistant manager, how difficult would it have been to say, "I'm not comfortable with this, send an officer, please." I don't know whether she was involved, but it sure does sound like some kind of connection with her boyfriend and the caller. It's said that sexual predators seek out individuals who seem to have low self eseem to begin with. The caller must have had at least some information about the personalities involved to be so successful.

I'm pretty much against most lawsuits, but you have more than one incompetent, imbecile who allowed this to happen. The company can't anticipate everything, but they can't be completely without liability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks