What's new

How can I get "real" 5.1 sound when I can only connect stereo sound from tv to hometheatre (1 Viewer)

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
I want to connect my laptop to my TV through HDMI and then connect my TV to Home theatre 5.1 system. However,my home theatre system is very old (CX-NMT520) so I can't connect it to TV via HDMI, only via A/V cables and my TV only supports stereo AV. Is there anything I can do? On one of my earlier posts, it was suggested that I buy a usb mini-toslink and then connect laptop directly to home theatre system, but I don't see a way to connect my home theatre system to the 5.1 headphone jack that the toslink offers.

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
Would it work if I had a cable where one end was HDMI and the other 5.1 a/v cables and then connected my laptop to home theatre reciever using that? If so, do you know any placed I could buy one (cable)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does this Aiwa has a digital input(coax or toslink)?

If not.

No.

If yes...have no idea why a USB/Toslink won't work...unless your computer won't support 5.1 with the adapter.

Easiest thing to do...is buy a new AVR/system. You could purchase(from A4L) an Onkyo 313 and use your current Aiwa speakers with it.

All "the hoops" you have to buy to "make this Aiwa work" should be pooled together with some extra cash to buy a more modern AVR...then relegate the Aiwa to the garage.

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
Thanks, but the shipping to Canada (where I live) is almost $150. Do you know any where else where I can buy it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you close to the US border?

Not sure if we are allowed to mention where this is going(Ron, Adam???)

The Denon 1513 is probably on Kijiji used. Or even "some other" basic 5.1 HDMI AVR.

If you look on Kijiji, you can link them here if you need help deciding(as you can find really old HDMI AVR that won't be any help)

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
I live in Toronto (I'll add it now).It only has a/v cables and an optical input (So no?).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Optical" is toslink.

So, yes.

Does this system(on the front, back...somewhere) show either...

DD (might be spelled out as Dolby Digital)
DTS

???

If it shows neither...it only accepts 2.0PCM on the toslink(which depending how old this system is...the only optical at the time were CD players).

Edit:
I get nowhere looking that model number up.

Pictures would help...or just descriptions of whatever it has on it relevant to DD or DTS.

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
The usb minitoslink's output is a headphone jack (which I'm guessing supports 5.1) so I'd need a cable where the output end is 3.5mm and the input end is optical?
It has dolby pro logic and dsp surround written on the front.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...back in the late 80s and early 90s...

I sold "smash racks" by Aiwa all the time. They were hugely popular. Many had "faux 5.0" and "faux 5.1"(depending if the system had a subwoofer).

Then, the only "toslink" were CD players. Laserdisc wasn't "out yet" that didn't need RF modulators(basically VHS was it).

Nobody was buying an Aiwa Smash Rack and connecting LaserDisc players to them.

So...more info needed...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
The usb minitoslink's output is a headphone jack (which I'm guessing supports 5.1) so I'd need a cable where the output end is 3.5mm and the input end is optical?

There is a cable called...specifically...
"mini-toslink to toslink"

It has dolby pro logic and dsp surround written on the front.

Based on that...the optical only accepts 2.0 PCM and whips DPL on it.

Based on this...the only thing you can do is run the headphone jack of your computer(which is analog 2.0 already) to this Aiwa and use DPL.

Would you notice a difference analog 2.0 to digital 2.0?
Maybe...but I wouldn't waste the money finding out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
So does that mean there's no way of getting true 5.1 by connecting it to laptop?
There is no way to get "actual 5.1"(regardless if this were a laptop, BD player...DVD player...or even an ATV or Roku) with this Aiwa.

And, are you absolutely certain your laptop doesn't already have mini-toslink?

When you right click your "volume icon" and go to "digital outputs"...

Do you only have HDMI as an option?

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
Do you know if I could somehow connect its speakers to laptop? Or would that be too much and I should just get a new reciever?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
Do you know if I could somehow connect its speakers to laptop? Or would that be too much and I should just get a new reciever?
Re-Read the prior post(added to it).

The laptop I am currently on...
Has a mini-toslink. But...it is relegated to digital 2.0 only. The HDMI is 5.1(might even be 7.1...but it only has a DVD player).

Yes...a new(er) AVR would solve everything.

retaeht

Agent
Real Name
Edward
I don't have a "digital outputs" option, is "playback devices" the same thing? I have Windows 7.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
retaeht said:
I don't have a "digital outputs" option, is "playback devices" the same thing? I have Windows 7.
Click on the "playback devices" and it lists "every possible method for audio to get out".

I have a USB BlueTooth dongle...so, it lists...on this one...

1. Internal speakers
2. BlueTooth(actually says the brand name of the dongle)
3a. HDMI
3b. L/R digital output (an icon showing the mini-toslink)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks