What's new

How can i create a Projector screen on Wall (1 Viewer)

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
Hello,
I am in New York, obviously small apartment and everything small. I have a wall that i use as a projector screen. I can not afford to have a screen which will take over a lot of space in it self + mounting or the removeable to get damaged.

Now the wall that i use has a cheap water based paint on it. How can i improve the quality of the Sony Bravia projector that i use. Can i paint it to white, or off white glossy?

I would like to spend about $100.00 and get a little better results on the wall..

I will appreciate any help please.

Thank you ~urjo

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If you normally use projector in the dark, I would just paint it with a flat finish white, such as Behr Ultra Pure White from Home Depot. If you have lights on, or light shining in, you should use a light gray paint. Either way, it needs to be a flat finish.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I did this myself, using the CHEAPEST WalMart white primer and ceiling white flat paint. The ceiling white is more reflective without giving you hot spots like gloss would.

Then I painted the rest of the wall black around it.

Looks like a million damn dollars!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Flat, flat, very, very FLAT!

Did we say "flat" enough?

Not only should the paint be flat, but the wall should be just about as close to perfect as you can make it.

Two things come to mind that might "help" keep the wall perfect, and maybe add some ambiance:

1. put some stained or black molding around the screen area, and/or
2. put curtains that you can pull over the protected surface when not in use. Even if you do curtains, it might not be a bad idea to have a black border as a light-trap to help make the screen "pop".

Leo

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
If you look here:

Scooterpalooza

And scroll down, you can see the screen in my theater. Subsequent to that pic being taken, I made the screen size a bit smaller, which actually gave it more of a real theater feel. So, I suggest do not try to make the WHOLE wall a screen. Rather, center the viewing area in a smaller section of the wall.

schufflerbot

Auditioning
Real Name
rick schuffler
i checked on craigslist and found a projector screen for $60.

i spent $10 on 2x2 pieces of wood and built a frame of sorts.

i cut the screen out of the housing and stretched it across the frame, attaching with staples every 3 inches or so.

total cost was less than $75, its completely portable (have it hung on the wall via standard pushpins) and looks amazing.

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
Okay,
Thanks for everyone's help. I painted flat white and i had a slight hot spots; althought the color was much much better than the cheap yellowish paint that i had before. Then i went and got ultra light gray and had 3 coats on that wall.. Aaahhhh....
That was all i needed. You know when you have achieved something to the expectations. It is so satisfying and so content in it self...

So, with my experience and others advise, i am closing this thread with the conclusion that to "Ultra light Grey" or "Light Grey" in Flat, will be the most suitable for most projectors. The entire two paints and the brush costs me $36.00 and 3 hours of work which i enjoyed...

~urjo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks