What's new

How are the Dick Van Dyke sets? (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The TV nominees were:

• The Dick Van Dyke Show: Season One (Image); Paul Brownstein
• ER: The Complete First Season (Warner); Paul Hemstreet, Phil McKenna
• The Shield: Season One (Fox); Eric Young
• The Simpsons: Season Three (Fox); Mark Rowan
• The X-Files: Season Seven (Fox); David Naylor

As you can see from that list, The Simpsons was the only real competition to Dick Van Dyke Show (in my opinion). I'm surprised that Battlestar wasn't there, but maybe I'm just a geek. Then again, if my experience with Universal was any indication, I would guess that many of the voters had not even seen the set. Universal didn't send it to everyone, and finally did so weeks after release.

You can see the complete list of nominees at the DVD Exclusive Awards web site.

To be clear, I did not vote in the DVDX Awards. I voted in the upcoming DEG Creative Excellence Awards, which had no nominations, just open voting.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
:eek: For the life of me, Randy, I was unable to find that page on their site!!!

I agree with you that - Dick Van Dyke Show aside - Battlestar Galactica is a superior set to the rest of the items on that list. E.R. and Simpons are really good sets, though. I Love Lucy - Complete 1st Season and You Bet Your Life: The Lost Episodes are also ones I would regard very highly all the way around, and should be on that list.

I would have taken Shield and maybe the X-Files (which didn't significantly change compared to previous seasons) outa there, and included those items.

Or even consider items that might have had fewer epsiodes and/or discs, but was more thorough in representing the TV Series involved: The Osbournes First Season - Uncensored Edition, The Beatles Anthology, The Monkees - Season 1 (the packaging makes that one), The West Wing, or Ben Stiller Show. Perhaps maybe consider some of the Doctor Who's, the Transformers, the Star Treks, the Stargate SG-1's, or the Little House sets.

I guess what I'm saying is that it was a very quality year, with lots of good sets, but that certain ones stood out as GREAT. I think there were bars raised all over the industry, and next year's award nominees will have to go far to beat the ones I'm talking about for this year.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=882

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :) :) :)

Very nice to see that the DVD-on-DVD sets are being recognized as the stellar productions that they are.

Looking forward to February, and Season Three. :D

I wouldn't be at all surprised (what with three more no-doubt-superb V.Dyke sets coming in '04) if this show takes home the "Best TV Product Of 2004" as well.

Pre-Ordering capability for Season 3 is probably not too far away. (Although I've seen no sign of it to date.)

Just in case anyone might be wondering...here's a reminder of what to expect, episode-wise, in the Season 3 boxed set in February:

Episode #: 63. That's My Boy (9/25/1963)
64. The Masterpiece (10/2/1963)
65. Laura's Little Lie (10/9/1963)
66. Very Old Shoes, Very Old Rice (10/16/1963)
67. All About Eavesdropping (10/23/1963) **
68. Too Many Stars (10/30/1963)
69. Who And Where Was Antonio Stradivarius? (11/6/1963)
70. Uncle George (11/13/1963)
71. Big Max Calvada (11/20/1963)
72. Turtles, Ties, And Toreadors (12/4/1963)
73. The Sound Of The Trumpets Of Conscience Falls Deafly On A Brain That Holds Its Ears...Or Something Like That! (12/11/1963)
74. The Alan Brady Show Presents (12/18/1963)
75. The Ballad Of Betty Lou (12/27/1963)
76. The Third One From The Left (1/1/1964)
77. My Husband Is The Best One (1/8/1964)
78. The Lady And The Tiger And The Lawyer (1/15/1964)
79. The Life And Loves Of Joe Coogan (1/22/1964)
80. A Nice Friendly Game Of Cards (1/29/1964)
81. Happy Birthday And Too Many More (2/5/1964)
82. The Brave And The Backache (2/12/1964)
83. The Pen Is Mightier Than The Mouth (2/19/1964)
84. My Part-Time Wife (2/26/1964)
85. Honeymoons Are For The Lucky (3/4/1964)
86. How To Spank A Star (3/11/1964)
87. The Plot Thickens (3/18/1964)
88. Scratch My Car And Die (3/25/1964)
89. The Return Of Edwin Carp (4/1/1964)
90. October Eve (4/8/1964)
91. Dear Mrs. Petrie, Your Husband Is In Jail (4/15/1964)
92. My Neighbor's Husband's Other Life (4/22/1964)
93. I'd Rather Be Bald Than Have No Head At All (4/29/1964)
94. Teacher's Petrie (5/13/1964)

** = This episode is actually on the Season 2 set, having been filmed at the end of the S.2 production cycle, but not aired until S.3. The DVDs are organized strictly by "Filmed Dates", meaning that we'll see Episode 107, "My Two Showoffs And Me" (Aired 12/16/1964), as the final episode on the S.3 DVD set.

Some great episodes are on tap for S.3, including "That's My Boy??", with Greg Morris "surprising" Rob and the audience :). And: The one and only Christmas Show done in the series (and a very rare "time stamped" Van Dyke ep., where we actually know what time of year it is). ... And don't forget Ed Platt's (Get Smart's "Chief") fine performance in Ep. 80 -- "Cheating!! In the suburbs!!" :laugh:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
When is Carl Reiner's first appearance as Alan Brady? I still haven't finished my viewing of the first two seasons (way, way behind on my viewing with all these TV releases coming out).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
His first appearance is in season one in part two of the Jerry Van Dyke guesting episodes. The first three years, Reiner only did cameos as Alan with back to the camera before appearing out front.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David VP, thanks for the list of season 3 eps, and for reminding me of the Christmas episode I really like that one.

I am also glad to see that this set got the recognition it so richly deserves. I've already given image 2 thumbs up, and it still stands.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David VP, thanks for the list of season 3 eps, and for reminding me of the Christmas episode; I really like that one.
YW :)

About the only thing that could make these V.Dyke sets even better (and more "universally" accepted) would be the inclusion of subtitles/captions.

Personally, I don't really care about subtitles/captions on any DVDs/Videos, but I realize they are very important to many people.

Although, sometimes they *do* come in handy when you can't figure out what a word of dialogue was. Such an occurrence helped me decipher a Gregory Peck line in "Cape Fear" (1962 version). During the restaurant scene where Peck confronts Cady (R. Mitchum), Gregory utters a mumbled line that for years I was in the dark about. But, with captions -- it clears it up. (It was something about "toes" and "child". I know what was said now; but I still don't understand its meaning. Oh, well... :laugh: )

I wonder if just perhaps there might be English captions on any of the remaining seasons. (Probably not; but you never know.)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David VP for the Season 3 list. I agree with you about the lack of subtitles being a disappointment. I normally rely on them quite a bit, but the sound is so clear on this set (not always true with vintage TV product) that I didn't miss them that much.

By the way, in your communications with Image, did they say anything about offering rebates on the remaining seasons? I realize that they're going to be released separately, but a kickback for buying all three would be nice :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David VP for the Season 3 list. I agree with you about the lack of subtitles being a disappointment. I normally rely on them quite a bit, but the sound is so clear on this set (not always true with vintage TV product) that I didn't miss them that much.
Yes, I agree. But we must always keep in mind the many, many individuals who are not so lucky as to be able to hear just how perfectly clear the sound is on these sets (or any other DVD product for that matter).

I don't know what the actual percentages might be...but I'm sure there ARE DVD buyers out there who just simply will NOT buy a product without captions.

PS -- One more thing that *would* make these boxed sets even more "perfect" than they already are: Inclusion of the blooper reels. But we have to honor (and respect) Mr. Reiner's decision to not want them on his products. Sad...but oh well.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...in your communications with Image, did they say anything about offering rebates on the remaining seasons?
No, they didn't mention anything about any rebates for Seasons 3 thru 5. (Nor did I inquire about such matters.)

(I'm curious about this possibility as well. I've just written them again
and [tactfully :D] asked about any potential future rebate offers. When/if I hear back from them, I'll post any related information here. :))

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
BTW...speaking of "rebates" .....

Has anyone yet received their $20 back from Image for the S.1 & 2 sets?

(I have not as yet...sent mine in on Oct. 25th. But, I suppose things like this normally have to "run their proverbial long course", taking 8 to 10 weeks, or somethin' like that there. :))

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm about ready to go pick these up next week at a local B&M!

I'm pretty excited about this set and only hope that TAGS isn't years and years away!

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Well thanks to this interesting article the principal players involved in the reunion show should now have their schedules freed up. The last I heard, the reunion show was scheduled to begin production in 2004 pending "talent availability".

By the way, did anyone else read the AP article from last week about Dick's new hobby?

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Season 3 details from the Sitcoms Online message boards (and Image's website):

Cover Art:

#1 - Synopsis:
Pratfall-prone Rob Petrie (Dick Van Dyke) and his plucky wife Laura (Mary Tyler Moore), along with wisecracking co-workers Sally (Rose Marie) and Buddy (Morey Amsterdam), captured America's hearts in this TV favorite that irresistibly combined wit and slapstick. Earning the series' highest ratings, the third season opened with the landmark "That's My Boy?" about Rob's fear that he's brought the wrong baby home from hospital, getting the longest studio audience laughs in the show's history. Thirty-One Original Full Length Episodes including the hilarious "October Eve" (Laura is mortified when a nude portrait of her surfaces in a New York gallery) and "Big Max Calvada"(a gangster muscles Rob, Buddy and Sally into writing a comedy routine for his nephew).

#2 - Special Features:
5-disc set; Audio Commentaries Featuring Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke for Selected Episodes; Interviews with Cast and Producers; Rehearsal Footage; Emmy Award Telecast Clips Honoring The Dick Van Dyke Show; Original Commercials Featuring the Cast and Network Promotional Spots; Photo Galleries for Selected Episodes; Collectible Booklet Featuring Trivia, Biographies, Illustrations and More!

---------------

A couple of points:

(1) the picture is from Season 2 so I'm not sure why this would be on a season 3 release.

(2) I wonder what "rehearsal footage" means. Could these be the outtakes/bloopers that fans wanted????

Release date is 2/24/03 and pre-order date is 1/13/04. Same MSRP of $69.99.

To find this on the Image website you have to go to "Advanced Search" and search for releases from 2/1/04 to 2/28/04. For some reason they don't have a direct link to February releases yet.

Just for kicks I did a search for seasons 4 and 5, but came up empty.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if it weren't for the Alien Quad set, these would be my pick for the 'sets of the year'.

and i was only casually interested in the material when they were announced.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I was literally about to click on your post in the thread, when someone sent me an e-mail with the same info and cover art! Weird. I'll get a news item up in a day or so, and credit both of you. I was looking for this earlier in the week and didn't find it...must have come in right afterward! :eek:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Paul D., for the S.3 info. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

(You beat me to the punch on this. Damn you! ;))

I wonder what "rehearsal footage" means. Could these be the outtakes/bloopers that fans wanted?
I was told by Dave Van Deusen (who was involved in the DVD-on-DVD project) that the idea of any blooper reels was definitely nixed by Carl Reiner himself. (He didn't want viewers to see the cast "out of character".) I would assume that would mean for all remaining season sets as well. But...who knows. Maybe he changed his tune a bit on this.

As I pointed out to Mr. Van Deusen, I was curious as to why Mr. Reiner didn't, then, raise any objection to the inclusion of the excellent and highly-entertaining "Stump The Stars" game-show program on the Season 2 boxed set? For, they are certainly out of character during that show.

Mr. Van Deusen replied with ......

>> "I think the difference is that on Stump the Stars they weren’t Rob, Laura, Buddy, and Sally. Although all together (and perhaps seeming to us fans as the Petries, etc.), they were themselves."

I'll be very interested to see what this "Rehearsal Footage" entails. Anyway, it's yet another bonus feature for the DVD set. And that can't be a bad thing. :) :D

EDIT: You know, I just thought...What with those "3-D Inserts" being "removable" cards, fans who want the cards to "match" or line up perfectly with the individual seasons could actually just switch the Season 1 motion card with the Season 3, since the "jury" ep. is really from S.1. This would then have S.3 containing the scene of Rob tripping over the ottoman, which was used in all 5 seasons I believe (so it'd be appropriate for any of the boxed sets).

See...I've got some gray matter up there after all, huh?? :D :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
To find this on the Image website you have to go to "Advanced Search" and search for releases from 2/1/04 to 2/28/04.
Paul D. .... FYI: I found the data by just using their regular "Keyword Search" function, not the "Advanced" box.

BTW: Kudos to Image for not only the great DVD-on-DVD sets, but for designing a pretty nice, user-friendly website as well. I like that site very much.

(Just for the heck of it, I typed in "Andy Griffith" into the search box @ Image as
well. ... Sorry to say: No luck. Nothin' there as yet. :frowning: Maybe some day though. :) )

Ryan FB

Second Unit
This would then have S.3 containing the scene of Rob tripping over the ottoman, which was used in all 5 seasons I believe (so it'd be appropriate for any of the boxed sets).
Hmmm, I'm watching them through in order and am now at the beginning of Disc 5 of S1, and Rob has yet to trip over an ottoman in the intro or during the show (all the intros so far have been variations on the Dick Van Dyke theme music with still pictures shown). ;)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I was told by Dave Van Deusen (who was involved in the DVD-on-DVD project) that the idea of any blooper reels was definitely nixed by Carl Reiner himself. (He didn't want viewers to see the cast "out of character".) I would assume that would mean for all remaining season sets as well. But...who knows. Maybe he changed his tune a bit on this.
Does Carl Reiner have an ownership interest in the TV series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks