What's new

How are high def. programs displayed on a widescreen TV?? (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
High-Definition TV is in 16:9 (1.78:1). A widescreen set is the same ratio. So there are no black bars on a HD TV program (sports or whatever).
Now, film-based sources like movies may be in a wider aspect ratio such as 2.35:1, in which case there will be black bars top and bottom when broadcast correctly in HD. Or if an older 4:3 (1.33:1) movie was broadcast in HD it would correctly have side black bars. All this is just like with DVD. Except HBO-HD crops the wider movies to fit the 16:9 screen so there are no black bars. Just about as bad as current pan-n-scan hacking of movies for presentation on 4:3 TVs.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Native HD (1.78x1) programs fill the screen.
Where on earth did you get the idea that HD might be windowboxed?
Todd

JasonRH

Second Unit
From another forum. I thought it sounded strange so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks a lot, guys.

george king

Supporting Actor
It is true that NATIVE HD is 16:9, and will fill your screen. However, there have been reports on other forums that some stations simply upconvert NTSC material, and that on some TVs this results in a window boxed presentation. It has been awhile since I read this, and I do not recall where, but I do remember reading this.

JasonRH

Second Unit
George,
That's exactly what I read. It seems reasonable enough to me that not all content has to be enhanced for widescreen tvs to still be HD but what do I know??

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Upconverted 4/3 shows on my one local ota station and on HBOHD are presented with black bars on the sides only. If a commercial that would be letterboxed on a 4/3 set comes on, it's got bars top and bottom also.
HBO-HD is no longer mutilating all 2:35 movies to eliminate black bars, by the way. I've seen several 2:35 movies on HBO-HD with black bars on my widescreen set.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks