How about a Blade Runner sequel?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Eric Samonte, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

U know, Deckard running around offing replicant hunters trying to off him and Rachel.....

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Deckard and Rachel escaped into the hills. They move into a small cabin and have a wise-cracking replicant butler clean up for them. The nextdoor neighbor is nosy and a real pest. Deckard and Rachel go camping but Rachel brings all the appliances along. Hilarity ensues.

3. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Umm, how about NO! [​IMG]

4. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

K. W. Jeter wrote a series of "official" Blade Runner sequels in book form in the 90's. If I recall correctly they were rather poor. Jeter apparently couldn't decide whether to stick to the world of the movie or Philip K. Dick's novel, so the ones I read came out as a weird mish-mash of both.

A movie sequel will probably be even worse.[​IMG]

That part was actually in Jeter's books. [​IMG]

5. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Maybe a prequel or spin-off about the replicants' offworld adventures... (but nothing like Soldier)

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Allan,

THIS part was at the end of the theatrical cut!

7. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I'm well aware of that. I meant the cabin bit as an extension of the theatrical ending.

8. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I actually think a series that pre-dated the events in the film would be interesting. (Of course, depending on what you believe would Deckard be in it?) You might actually have to not use Deckard anyway since if you take his character anywhere it leaves nothing for the film. Might get boring with a remorseless cop killing replicants every week. Could be about another Blade Runner, though. Or a series being the universe all its own with Deckard along the lines of Highlander. Maybe Rachel wouldn't come into it until S3 or so.

Total Recall 2070 was pretty close to a Blade Runner series though.

9. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

10. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

Deckard and Rachael find a house at the top of a mountain and eventually have a daughter. Unfortunately, the severe environmental damage causes the magnetic poles to reverse and both Ice Caps to melt covering all of the known world in water. Since the toddler daughter is too young to understand they encode a map back to their home in a 'birthmark' and entrust her to a trustworthy passing scientist to find her a suitable home before their 'clocks' expire since Tyrell hadn't been able to tell them how to prevent their ultimate demise. They eventually die in their mountain home, but the daughter lives on with some indistinct memories of trees and animals ..

Damn, I think I've finally gone completely mad.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

That could be a great HBO miniseries. Perhaps if the Battlestar Galactica writers make that spin-off prequel show about how the human race built the cylons (and how their best-intentions went horribly wrong), perhaps that will cover the same material (the same issues). We'll just have to imagine that Caprica is Earth.

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

How about someone remake the out-of-print Westwood Studios adventure game "Blade Runner" that was set at the same time (same month, same week) as the film, but had a different plot.

That was one of the best adventure games ever made, but it had 2-D backgrounds (albeit, lovely ones based on preproduction paintings made for the film) and it only runs on slower Win98 machines I think. Depending on whether you decided to befriend or go after the replicants the game played out differently, and it included familiar faces and new ones. Best of all, it actually told a compelling story, just as fraught with paranoia and identity crises as the film itself.

It needs to be rerendered in full 3D and expanded a bit so that those of us who have played out all 9 endings can play even more.

It was such a great game, I've hung onto one of my older computers just in case I get in the mood to play it again.

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I'd love to see further adventures of the Deckard and Rachel, or adventures of another Blade Runner in the future noir created by Ridley Scott. Deckard was not the only Blade Runner, and Harrison Ford is not the only actor who can play him. The story possibilities are endless. In view of the success of the original film, its ongoing popularity, its acceptance in other mediums (novels, games, comics etc), and the intensity of consumer interest it's a waste not to turn Blade Runner into a cinema franchise.

14. John Dirk

John Dirk Second Unit

Agreed. Some things are better left alone.

John

15. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

And I thought the crushing of Alien was the lowest depth.

Please NO

16. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

How about YES .

17. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

No, leave it alone. People just love to have too much of a good thing and then they destroy it.

18. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Forget it. BLADE RUNNER is perfect......just as long as I ignore Ridley Scott's revisionism. There is no need for a sequel.

And I guess I'm probably one of the few that actually liked SOLDIER. IIRC, no cracking wise in that film, just a pissed off supersoldier doing what he does best: killing the enemy.

Edit: Had to put a space in there. I keep forgetting Blade Runner was two words not one.

19. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    You know, I'm not really opposed to a sequel.

However, if the idea is to capture this kind of feel, which is really a short story turned into a movie, why don't they find something else.

They could get the same dark, brooding kind of feel by adapting something like "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", which I always think of when I watch Blade Runner for some reason.

Then again, that may be a bit -too- dark, but I always thought that could be a great film.

20. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Richard--W wrote (post #13):

And there never is.