House season 7

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

House returns, and this time he's in a relationship with Cuddy. Oh boy. Airs on Fox at 8 p.m. EDT.

2. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

That was one uncomfortable pairing. Almost as uncomfortable as Cuddy and the PI. Desire and closeness was expressed via physical cues rather than verbally. It seemed everytime there was an opportunity to elevate the closeness verbally, the ball thudded into the chest of the recipient rather than being caught and returned. As a practical matter, I didn' t think there was much chemistry between the leads.

It mostly worked, though. The episode pointed out (consistently with his character), House doesn't trust love, and he doesn't trust being happy. And just like in real relationships, there's the need to balance going in with your eyes open and analyzing things to death. Watching it unfold, I kept thinking about why people who "analyze it to death" do so -- usually it's because they need it to work out, and if it isn't going to, someone conduct a mercy killing before you get in too deep and are devastated later. Sadly, though, the need to know "what is this?" or more specifically, the steps taken to determine the answer to the question, can suck the fun out of what should be a happy time.

What's needed is Balance. Which would be fine if House were a balanced person. He's not, so whether he talks about it or not, he's going to analyze the relationship to within an inch of its life.

As it relates to Olivia Wilde, rumor has it that

she's not completely gone from the show, but she'll be gone for awhile

Bottom line? I'm glad Dr. Greg is back. Bring on the fun.

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Well, that was probably the closest we've ever gotten to seeing Lisa Edelstein sweaty and completely naked.

Damn network broadcast standards.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I don't think that's really a spoiler since her name was just added to the opening credits. I don't think they'd do that if she were only going to be in one episode. That being said, she's going to be gone for most of the season. She'll be replaced by

a med student played by Amber Tamblyn who is supposed to be as brilliant as House, but far more naive and idealistic.

Personally, I think Thirteen's kind of been played out, visual appeal not withstand, so it'll be nice to take a breather from her character.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I had/have zero interest in the House/Cuddy relationship, I had to fast forward through all of it, but I did stop when she fell on the bed(you know, just in case something was shown) and then I continued to FF. I hope I start to like their relationship or these episodes will be really short.

6. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

Jeremiah, I'm not sure we're supposed to like the relationship, which is why I really like the show. What's going on is far more relatable to me as something that'd occur in real life than what we'd normally see on TV. Tina Turner famously asked, "What's love got to do with it?" It can be very true. It's not a matter of if two people are crazy about each other, it's a matter of do they fit. Are they compatible?

Cuddy's saying she likes House for who he is, warts and all, but how would she have felt if her hospital's ER was shut down? How would the board have felt about HER for allowing that to happen and being incommunicado the way she was? After all, it's one thing to instruct your assistant that you're taking some time and to only call you in case of true emergency. It's another thing to just turn off your phone (or stop answering it). And House even suggesting she do that in the first place was the height of selfishness. A selfishness we can sort of understand though since he's in the midst of something he has wanted for so long, and still wants very badly, but doesn't believe will last.

Let's go on a trip tomorrow? Selfishness. She has a child to make arrangements for. She has a hospital that is extremely important to make arrangements for. "So you'll break up with your boyfriend, but you won't leave your job." Guilt trips aren't the way to show you care about another person. But House is House. And she gives in to it similarly to how a loving parent can give in to an unreasonable child -- because you want your unreasonable child to be happy.

I'm going to have a big empty spot where House, M.D. used to be when this show goes away.

7. Adam Lenhardt

This was one brutal episode. The martyr patient is one of the secondary players in Disney's pen, I think from the remade Cheaper by the Dozen movies. She did a really good job. Loved the clinic patients, the ancient father and son pair both bribing House to get the other off of them. It's always a pleasant surprise when Allan Rich pops up in a role like this; he's a terrific character actor. It was nice to see House give them their money back, a sure sign that this relationship is changing him if anything is. Glad to see House and Cuddy have a blowout, because they definitely needed to. The interesting thing is going to be seeing how (or even if) they can balance being brutally honest at work without building up huge reserves of resentment for after work.

8. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Funny, I thought the opposite...He seemed more like early seasons House in this episode. We haven't seen the douchebag House since parts of S5. In S6 he was completely lifeless and sanitized. So far he hasn't treated Cuddy any better either, and I don't know why she puts up with his antics.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I liked this episode more than the first 2 episodes this season. The go kart racing was actually kinda fun with House being House. The Huddy stuff was okay.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Nice ending. Next week looks interesting.

11. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    "She hates Jews!"

"...NEVER AGAIN."

12. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt

I admit, this made me laugh. This was a solid episode, good insight into how House is worried about how to actually make their relationship "work".

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Vinessa Shaw is still pretty hot. She is probably best known as Domino, the hooker in "Eyes Wide Shut".

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This episode cracked me up when it came to House/Wilson's scenes.

Can't believe that was Lane from Gilmore Girls playing the Peds doc trying for a spot on House's team.

15. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Wilson crawling out the window while giving his "man up" speech was pretty damn funny. Loved the show hated the beginning.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Good episode. Brutal ending for the patient of the week, but inevitable as soon as she said, "it's only nine days." I love all of the stuff with the kid, because it feels fresh and it's territory the show's never ventured into before. And it's also something that could have never happened before House got clean. Damn baseball for delaying the rest of the season until November.

Wow. I feel old.

17. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Looks like baby girl got a nose job too!

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Keiko Agena (Peds doc) was close to 27 years old when she started on Gilmore Girls in 2000, almost twice the age of her character, Lane, at the time. Craziness.

19. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

love house but I think they need to focus more on the patients rather than house and cuddy...

20. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

While I thought the peds doctor's refusal of the position was pretty weak (she'd let her opinion of Taub affect her?) the episode was very good. In fact this season's been pretty good. I think the House/Cuddy relationship has settled into place just fine and gives a nice balance to the case of the week. Plus, it's set up some funny House / Wilson interactions too.