What's new

House of Wax: Epson 5020 and Crosstalk (1 Viewer)

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I know HOUSE OF WAX has been discussed previously, but having only had 3-D capabilities on my Epson 5020UB projector for a short time, I'm having issues with lots of crosstalk with this and a few other titles.

Making adjustments to the "3D Depth" field, I can eliminate ghosting in either foreground or background, but not both. The foreground will look great, but then I'm almost getting a double image in the background of a lot of shots.

I couldn't seem to find any previous discussions about how to minimize this issue with this particular projector, or its later sibling the Epson 5030.

Any Epson owners have some advice, or if you can point me to a previous discussion?

Many thanks!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The only way to really watch crosstalk-free 3-D with active glasses is to use a DLP projector, preferably with RF glasses.

House of Wax is pretty much unwatchable for me on my Samsung plasma.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had no problems with House of Wax on my plasma with active glasses. I did have some problems with Dial 'M' for Murder.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Was it actual ghosting on Dial M or just the haloing that's baked into the film itself?

I have an Epson 5030 - I haven't fully watched House Of Wax on it but had no issues with the first twenty minutes that I did sample. No problems with Dial M either. Sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I've experienced no issues with House of Wax on our Epson 5010. The Dial M look good as well. I'm using the Epson brand glasses.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Was it actual ghosting on Dial M or just the haloing that's baked into the film itself?

I have an Epson 5030 - I haven't fully watched House Of Wax on it but had no issues with the first twenty minutes that I did sample. No problems with Dial M either. Sorry, I know that's not particularly helpful.
Not baked in haloing. Others (particularly those with DLP sets or passive 3D) have not reported crosstalk with Dial 'M', but my active set certainly had some problems with it (not so bad as to be unwatchable, however). No problems at all with Warners' House of Wax or Kiss Me Kate.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have a Panasonic AE8000U projector and I only noticed crosstalk in a few scenes for the titles mentioned above. You can reduce crosstalk with a setting of Normal instead of Dynamic.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Can't speak for projectors, but as for plasma, I own a Panny 55" 3D set, and I was having serious crosstalk issues with a number of 3D films, notably DIAL M FOR MURDER, and, to a lesser degree, HOUSE OF WAX. I did, based on advice I found somewhere (probably here), set the monitor for 24 fps (movie frame rate). Not only does HOUSE OF WAX look pretty awesome now, with minor crosstalk showing up only in very dark shots, but DIAL M is actually watchable! Don't know if projectors allow for this setting, but it would seem they should.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Thanks for all of the responses.

Some have told me that this crosstalk issue is common with LCD projectors and active glasses.

Is it possible to use passive glasses with the Epson projector? Yes, I'm a newbie.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Some have told me that this crosstalk issue is common with LCD projectors and active glasses.

Is it possible to use passive glasses with the Epson projector? Yes, I'm a newbie.

No, unfortunately you need to use active glasses for that projector.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan

There was a person who claimed to be able to polarize the left and right eyes using a pair of dlp link glasses. I believe Mike Ballew mentioned it awhile back. I'm not sure if this approach works with the Epson glasses or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks