3D HOUSE OF WAX 3D Official!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by SAM33, Jul 16, 2012.

1. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    From the picture above, it looks like the left and right speakers are to the sides of the screen, not behind it. Did some theatres have the left/right speakers behind the screen and others to the sides of the screen?
    When you say "Vincent Price says from the back of the theater, "You shouldn't have done that, my dear." Would'nt that come from the surround channel which would be the speakers on the side walls and back wall of the auditorium? Or, could the surround channel be directed by someone to a specific group of speakers?
    So, if there are three stems for dialogue. music and effects, can't you mix them for something close to the original? Have the dialog come out of the speaker closest to the actor on the screen? Have the effect sound that you see on or off the screen come from where you see it or where it's supposed to be coming from?

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

I imagine the three stage speakers could be placed in any position behind the screen. However, there would be masking and/or curtains on the sides so I would bet most theaters had the speakers behind the perforated screen.
    Yes, I should have said his voice came from the sides and back of the theater.
    If all of the original dialogue and effect tracks survive, they could most certainly approximate the original, highly directional mix.

3. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    For those of us like myself that have a front projector with speakers below the screen I guess the directional dialog could work fine if WB did that on the Blu-ray. If your speakers are far to the sides of your set, it might bother some people as the picture will be in the center (if WB released it full screen 1.37:1) of their 1.77:1 set

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Especially a nice coffee table type of book.
    I for one would buy this.

5. moviebear1

moviebear1 Agent

Matt Spero
    I was going through my files on House Of Wax and found this World Premere Ad.
    [​IMG]

6. Gromilini

Gromilini Agent

Michael Logan
    Just in case someone isn't already hip to this, House of Wax 3D is on the 2013 Warner Bros. Calendar of Events for the third quarter (follow link, about halfway down the page...)
    Warner Bros. 2013 Calendar of Events

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Circa August-September 2013. Warner Brothers waits too damn long to release these titles.
    Hey, Matt Spero!
    You designed the posters for the World 3-D Expos and all the other stuff. You were the guy who had the video crew shining bright lights in our faces all the time so that we were half-blind when the movies started. Do post here more often.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    If it takes a year for Warner to do House of Wax right, I'll happily wait.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Don't you think they're also gauging the sales of Dial 'M' for Murder? If it underperforms, they may cancel those plans. It's happened before.

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

No, I don't think that's the reason at all.
    House of Wax is a perpetually popular title and it will sell regardless of how Dial M For Murder does -- which, incidentally, is also a perpetually popular title and the 3-D edition is going to sell very well.
    Traditionally, House of Wax sells. Period. Warner Brothers knows better than anyone that House of Wax sells. Period.
    They're waiting to make it a 60th Anniversary Edition, probably. 1953 / 2013.
    But I think the 3-D market needs the film RIGHT NOW.

11. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    ...assuming the work on it is complete and it's in a state to BE released now...

12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

It's a major restoration: 4K scans of each color record for both eyes, that's six rolls of film for each second on screen.
    I'd rather they take their time and make it perfect.
    Besides, that will give us time to get an article ready. Cranking out two Golden Age articles/reviews in one week was not easy!

13. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Bob, have you heard if there will be a HD version of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM on this release too? We need Lionel Atwill in HD, darn it!

dana martin likes this.
  14. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I'd settle for a half-way decent looking Mystery Of The Wax Museum, it looks a bit rough on the DVD, but is that from the only one print available? (I'm sure I read that somewhere). I still think, House Of Wax would go better as a double bill with the 3D The Phantom Of The Rue Morgue. That would be a fun double bill.

15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It certainly would have been the ideal mating of two 3D classics from Warners, and I've never seen Phantom of the Rue Morgue in 3D.

16. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Ben, I'm not aware of any plans for MYSTERY.
    I can tell you that a second 35mm nitrate print in much better condition has been found and currently sits at the UCLA Film Archive.

17. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    House of Wax was originally estimated as a Q3 release. What's the new date?

18. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Other than providing one complimentary image of a 1953 audience wearing glasses, we were not involved with this release.

It's too bad that we weren't consulted. Just like DIAL M FOR MURDER, we hold a wealth of rare material on this film in our files.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/dial-m-blu-ray-review

19. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I really, REALLY hope that the WB doesn't eff up the 3D version of HOUSE OF WAX like they did DIAL M FOR MURDER; the latter has THE worst crosstalk I've ever seen. Absolutely unwatchable. And it ain't just my TV neither, because CREATURE and THE HOBBIT look just peachy-keen, with little-to-zero crosstalk.

20. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider