What's new

3D HOUSE OF WAX 3D Official! (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i dont know why but there is something about that little pre code film, Fay Wray total smartass that makes it so good, Michael Curtiz direction, Attwill spot on just such a classic that WB could do Horror, from the company; at that time was better know for Gangster Pictures

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
The original Warnerphonic left/center/right is long gone, but they still have the mono surrounds.
Chace did a new stereo mix from existing stems about ten years ago. It's pretty good but it's not the original.
I wonder what they will do for this release? I would guess Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and maybe include another track that is mono front and mono surround?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/322317/house-of-wax-3d-official#post_3949943
I wonder what they will do for this release? I would guess Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and maybe include another track that is mono front and mono surround?

Warner has been using DTS-HD MA for a couple years now.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Was. WarnerPhonic Sound a sound on film process or was it a double system like theatrical DTS is? if is was sound on film, I assume it used magnetic tracks and if so, how did it differ from the right-centre-left--surround tracks of CinemaScope's four track mag?
-Claude

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Claude, WarnerPhonic Stereo utilized a full-coat 35mm magnetic track for the left, center and right speakers behind the screen and a mono optical track for the surround channel. The 35mm full-coat audio was on a separate roll that was interlocked with the two projectors that ran the left/right 3-D images, and the surround track was on the right print of the feature. The left print contained a mono optical composite track of the entire four channels and served as an emergency audio back-up in case the dubber went out of sync with the picture.
The tragedy of this stereo audio not surviving is the fact that it was an important element in the original presentation of the 3-D film. With fully directional sound and voices/effects that emanated from the sides and rear of the auditorium (during the fire in the wax museum, for instance) it helped to immerse the viewer in the action, adding an important element to the superb realism of the dimensional photography. At one point when Phylis Kirk discovers the body in wax, Vincent Price says from the back of the theater, "You shouldn't have done that, my dear." People in the audience were startled, to say the least.
As an example of the important role of sound in this presentation, the New York Paramount installed 25 surround speakers throughout the huge auditorium for the premiere.
7228e1be_warnerphonic2.jpeg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Some ads. I had to scan each page and put them together so they look kind of crappy.
2c0ee37b_042553.jpeg

6eea4fe9_0509532.jpeg

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
So WarnerPhonic sound was a double system,. As I had mentioned at the Film Tech Forum, I saw HOUSE OF WAX in dual projection 3-D at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu during it's first run engagement in 1953 but sadly, it was not in stereo. Because I did not know anything about stereophonic sound at the time, it really did not matter. It was not until six years later in 1959 when I would have the opportunity hear stereophonic sound with THIS IS CINERAMA at Honolulu's Princess Theatre for the very first time. By the time I had seen all the other Cinerama films and early CinemaScope pictures starting with the Robe in 1963, I was already a stereophonic sound junkie.
Out of all of theatres equipped for dual projection 3-D in the United States during the golden age of the format, were they many houses equipped for Stereo sound or was it only limited to major cities such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc., Robert ?
-Claude

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I might be getting some of the technical stuff wrong here, but I remember years ago asking someone in the sound dept of Warners about THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, which I had recently seen on TCM and had a sort of psuedo stereo fullness to it. As best as I can recall, he said they had the mono mix down master and the surround track from a print and combined them to give that bit of perspective. Is that what they did for the HOUSE OF WAX DVD?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Out of all of theatres equipped for dual projection 3-D in the United States during the golden age of the format, were they many houses equipped for Stereo sound or was it only limited to major cities such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, etc., Robert ?
Offhand, I don't have an exact count, but I can tell you that stereophonic sound installations were not just in the major cities.
An article in Motion Picture Daily from April 20, 1953 (ten days after WAX premiered) indicates that Warnerphonic had 59 installations, including the Rialto in Juliet, the Madison in Peoria and the Midway in Rockford, ILL; the Palace in South Bend, IN; the California in Stockton and the Buena in Ventura, CA; the Kenosha, Bay in Green Bay, Rauli in Oshkosh and the Majestic in Beloit, WI.
Here's how it was promoted at the 1,739 seat Madison in Peoria.
8732df66_warnerphonic3_madison_peoria_il.jpeg

The theater has been closed since 2003. Here is a recent video of the interior.
Interesting to see the Warnerphonic surround speakers are still in place on the side walls! They look like an Altec cabinet but the videographer doesn't remain still long enough to get a good look.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
John Morgan said:
I might be getting some of the technical stuff wrong here, but I remember years ago asking someone in the sound dept of Warners about THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, which I had recently seen on TCM and had a sort of psuedo stereo fullness to it. As best as I can recall, he said they had the mono mix down master and the surround track from a print and combined them to give that bit of perspective. Is that what they did for the HOUSE OF WAX DVD?
I haven't heard the new mix for CHARGE so I can't compare. The new WAX stereo mix utilized some existing dialogue, music and effect stems for the front channels.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Claude, WarnerPhonic Stereo utilized a full-coat 35mm magnetic track for the left, center and right speakers behind the screen and a mono optical track for the surround channel. The 35mm full-coat audio was on a separate roll that was interlocked with the two projectors that ran the left/right 3-D images, and the surround track was on the right print of the feature. The left print contained a mono optical composite track of the entire four channels and served as an emergency audio back-up in case the dubber went out of sync with the picture.
[/URL]
Besides House of Wax and Charge at Feather River, did any other 3-D titles survive with surrond tracks?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Those were the only two stereo 3-D films with surround tracks. The only reason they survive is because they were mono optical.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
I know IT CAME FROM OUT OF SPACE was release in 3-D with stereo sound and I think MISS SADIE THOMPSON did too. Was the stereo sound used by the other studios the same as WarnerPhonic Sound.? I would assume it was
-Claude

moviebear1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Spero
This is truely exciting news. Up till now the only Official 3-D release was in Japan on a now forgotten Video Disc system that was Alternate Field.
I am hot to get my hands on this version as I am sure it will be better than any other versions out there. The only downside is this is the first announcement and preparing it could take up to a year before it's ready for release.
I just want it in my hands. . . . . .yesterday. :P

moviebear1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Spero
Here is a story from a San Francisco paperhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/163394/width/350/height/700

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I also saw this back in the 80's (possibly a re-release during the Friday the 13th 3D, Jaws 3D, Coming At Ya! period) and LOVED the movie, which plays just as well in 2D (paddleball scene excepted....). It would be great to get another theatrical release of it, but I think that's hoping too much!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Michael Cucka /t/322317/house-of-wax-3d-official/30#post_3952253
Came across this photo on Facebook of the Madison with both films on the marquee - "All Thrilling 3 Dimension Show":
e9dc3d87_308175_166586796756051_1925280724_n.jpeg

What I wouldn't give to be able to go back back in time and see these two films back-to-back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks