What's new

House Of 1K Corpses - No Unrated DVD 8/12 (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
After DVDFile's news that the Rob Zombie flick would be released in dual versions(uncut & family-friendly R version :)), now comes the press release from Lion's Gate, as reported on horrordvds.com, that the release the only the R-rated theatrical cut.

Confusing matters are reports from Bloody Disgusting and Creature Corner that indicates the cut footage is on the DVD. WTF is going on? If that footage is presented as just a supplement, which could be the case, this is rather disappointing.

It will be interesting to hear what Zombie himself has to say about it.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Man, after all the trouble Zombie had just getting this in theaters, it looks he's getting no favors in the home video world, either. I would personally prefer an unrated version myself.

Bruce

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I skipped this in the theater because I wanted it uncut, and I'll skip the DVD too. Why don't they just do flippers on these? Than you can have both versions, and everyones happy? Let's face it, bad publicity about the uncut version is the only way to juice sales, based on the lackluster box office this picked up. They'd be stupid not to release it uncut, unless of course they want to do the dreaded horror of horrors....
DOUBLE DIP!!! :angry:

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I really was looking forward to the announced "uncut" version too. Man am I disappointed!:angry:

Will K

Screenwriter
In the last few minutes since my initial post, I've been thinking of a likely scenario. There could be a marketing ploy at play. Since the film did well enough to warrant a sequel(coming out in about 10-11 months), they may use an uncut DVD release to tie in with Corpses 2, much like Universal does whenever they put out a sequel. Just a though. Still annoying, though.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I sure hope this will be cleared up quickly. From the Horrordvds.com report as well as the DVDFile one...there's nothing stating that there will be no unrated version. So far, they've just announced the R-Rated cut. With any luck an announcement for the Unrated cut will come out soon.

I'm pretty sure Zombie mentioned editing the Unrated cut in the last Sound and Vision, and judging from prior actions, there's no reason to believe that Lion's Gate wouldn't release an Unrated film.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lion's Gate is the current master of controversial and unrated material. It would be very odd if they only release the R.

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
Their ad in my new VPD mag has an 'R' rating on it. It also lists special DVD features: Director commentary, Trailers, rough film tests, still and FX gallery, Featurettes (whatever that means), and a music only track. It lists the time as 88 minutes.

Huh. It says that there's also a "national contest promotion" with Guitar Center. I wonder if they don't want to do a tie-in with an unrated film. I'm conjecturalizing, of course.

--K

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Please note, we spoke to Lions Gate about the rumor of an unrated release for House of 1000 Corpses they stated that the DVD would only have the 'R' Rated theatrical cut and that the Unrated edition of the film will NOT be released on DVD.
Grabbed that from the DVDTalk story on the release. Not kewl...not kewl at all.

We've all heard Zombie talking about the Unrated cut a gazillion times...so wtf is going on here.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Hopefully they will release it uncut after all. In any case, I've seen the uncut version as well as the R version there isn't that drastic of a difference. One of the murder scenes has another stab or two, and a little bit more gore, but not enough to be THAT upset about.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not forget that Lion's Gate released an Unrated Version of MONSTER'S BALL a year later after the regular rated R version was out.
(More Halle Berry Nudity;) )

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
That's because Lion's Gate didn't have their own DVD production when Monser's Ball came out and the publisher (Sony) didn't do unrated discs. Lion's Gate released the uncut version pretty much as soon as they started publishign their own stuff.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
As long as the extra footage is included as a supplement I'm alright with this. It'd be great to have an unrated edition, don't get me wrong, but having the version I saw in theaters doesn't bother me too much.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As long as the extra footage is included as a supplement I'm alright with this. It'd be great to have an unrated edition, don't get me wrong, but having the version I saw in theaters doesn't bother me too much.
I agree with you to an extent, but if Zombie is being censored (I use that term very loosely)...then I have a big problem. Here's Zombie's quote from the last issue of Sound and Vision...

Question: "Have you worked ont he bonus materials for the House of 1000 Corpses DVD yet?"
Answer: "A little bit. I'm just starting the 'unrated version' phase. I'm compiling all the stuff I saved up - the multiple trailers .... etc"

As you see he obvioiusly states that he's working on the unrated cut of the film.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I'd like to see in an unrated cut is some nudity from the psycho-blonde. And how about Sid Haig on the commentary and a speical tribute to Sid Haig featurette?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
They published Dead Alive themselves, but they stopped doing this for some time. Presumably it was too expensive.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Got this from Davis DVD:

So I guess the DVD won't include the unrated edition: speaking to Video Store Magazine, director Rob Zombie has finally given us the official word on the House of 1000 Corpses DVD. Confusion has abounded as to which cut of the film will be included on the disc, but according to Zombie it's the 'R'-rated version. Zombie adds that a future unrated version is not out of the realm of possibility. "At this point, that [unrated] version doesn't exist. This is really all there is right now." The article goes on to mention that Zombie plans on regrouping the cast in full makeup to shoot live-action interactive menus
Guess Zombie isn't being censored, he just doesn't have the unrated cut finished. But when they say it's not out of the realm of possibility...AKA Corpses 2 tie-in.

Will K

Screenwriter
AKA Corpses 2 tie-in.
I think that's dead-on. It's all marketing. If Lion's Gate tells the public now they plan on putting out the uncut version next year, it could undermine the sales of the first DVD. Zombie has to be somewhat evasive now of the issue because of sequel plans, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks