What's new

Hotel's: Rooms with Ethernet Connections? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello everyone,
I plan on doing some travelling over the summer, and I want to bring my iBook with me for doing things like checking email, staying in contact with family/friends, etc.
So what I want to know is, are there any hotels that provide an ethernet connection in their rooms for connecting notebooks to?
And if not, how would I go about getting an internet connection while I'm travelling?
Thanks.
P.s. Oh yea, another reason for having an internet connection while travelling is so that I would still be able to post on HTF! Not sure what I would do without it :)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Actually, I would say that approx 50% of the hotels I stay in offer fast ethernet connections in every room. I've never used it since I dont have an Ethernet card in my laptop (the card is in my docking station). I think the charge is approx $10 per 24 hour period (a bit steep, no). Typcally they have a conector wire in the closet and a small white box on the desk.

Anyway ... you'll find this more often at the upper end business hotels like Hiltons, Hyatts, etc. Marriotts are hit or miss. I think you can check it out on the website for the hotel you're thinking about or just call them directly and ask the front desk.

Scott

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Ok thanks.

I really just wanted to make sure that this is a feature that hotel's have.

I guess when I make reservations, I'll be sure to ask.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I've noticed that most (if not all) hotel room phones have a "data line" for you to plug in a modem. Just find the local number for your ISP and you can probably connect free of charge. Of course it would be a slow dial-up connection though.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Most Marriott's have high speed access kits in the room with a typical charge of $9.95 from noon-to-noon. Some of Marriott's hotels in lower priced categories (Courtyard, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, etc.) have it too. Definitely ask when making your reservation or use this link to locate hotels in the area you are traveling to that offer this service.
(In case you were wondering, I work for Marriott.)

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
In the past year when traveling, I've stayed at DoubleTree, Hilton, Holiday Inn to name a few. All had Ethernet connections about the same price mentioned above.

One caveat about dial up modem access, not very many hotels have free local access calls. I have also found that some will charge a flat fee for the first given time period of the call, say 20 to 30 minutes, then charge per minute thereafter.

~Kurt

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, it would have to have a high speed connection, because there is no way that I can go back to using dial-up after using cable for 2+ years. :) (even if it's only for a few weeks)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Your best bet is to find out the toll free number to your ISP in that city.
That way you can jump online for free, or at least for the price of a simple telephone call.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Every fucking hotel I stay at in NYC advertises high-speed ethernet access in their rooms, yet inevitably doesn't have it (or has it only by way of a WebTV-like device).

The two worst offenders:

Le Parker Meridien, which has 36" Sony WEGA TVs w/ DVD players and Aeron chairs -- and non-functional ethernet ports.

TriBeCa Grand, which charged something like $950 USD/night for my suite (actually, the one Mariah Carey had her breakdown in), yet couldn't even get WebTV working for me. Pathetic. Best of all, their so-called office center had all of ONE computer, in use for the entire duration of my stay by some litigator preparing appelate briefs (likely because her WebTV wasn't working either).

My advice: call ahead and let them know you NEED ethernet access. Have them make a note on the account. At least if they screw you over in the end they'll likely give you an adjustment on you bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks