What's new

Horror on DVD Discussion (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I haven't watched any of my AQ yet, but I'd recommend it anyway. I'm a fan of all 4 movies, some more than others....;)
I recently got to see the Alien DC on the big screen and it was excellent!

To amend my prior post about most recent horror buys:
I just got 2 of the Hammer Dble Features: Quartermass and the Pit/Quartermass 2, Frankenstein Created Woman/The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.
I haven't seen any of the 4 before, but I have an interest in and a small cluster of Hammer titles. ANy opinions on these or the other 2 Doubles?

Next i am considering Body Melt and Aswang as blind buys...

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Finally picked up a copy of Blue Underground's edition of George A. Romero's "The Crazies". I had seen the film several years ago on what must have been a copy of a copy of a copy VHS, and it failed to make an impression on me. I picked the disc up on the cheap not expecting much, gave it a spin, and LOVED the film! While not reference audio (the treble can be quite shrill in places) and video, the image is great for such a forgotten film. The acting was good, the story was good (and quite forward thinking), but I thought the editing was absolutely amazing, especially the montages that happen every so often. This film was a pleasant surprise and I recommend checking it out if you have not already. Would make a great double bill with "28 Days Later".

I also rewatched a flick not seen in ages called "Return to Horror High". Quasi funny horror/comedy with many similarities to "Scream".

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Well, I picked up Body Melt, watched it yesterday. What a bizarre movie, not quite what I expected. I actually expected more gore. It seemed to try to hard to be a Peter Jackson flick....
Not bad though.

David Di

Grip
I finally watched the eye late last night. That was one freaky movie. Especially if you hate ghosts.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I've got that laying around, but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to give it a spin.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
I dont understand the hype about "The Eye" I found it boring
but most movies dont live up to hype anyway..I am looking forward to FvJ though

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I really liked the Eye, But I'm a little biased towards Asian cinema, I really love it!

FvJ was a blast, probably could have been better but Ronny Yu does have a good eye for the material. He did wonders with Bride of Chucky, best of the series IMHO.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Asian films as well. They're horror releases are some of the absolute best there is. Especially Kairo, Uzumaki, Onibaba, and the Juon films.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I've been dying to see Juon.
Onibaba is getting the Criterion treatment this year, never saw it, but have heard great things.
The other 2 I've never heard of.

Looking forward to the release of Cure tomorrow.

Has anyone seen Anatomy? I've heard good stuff, but I can only find part 2 in stores...

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Cool thread!

Here is my modest horror collection. Right now there is one title I am absolutely counting the days for and that's Dawn of the Dead. I may not be able to hold out for the multi-disc set and will more than likely purchase the single-disc edition first just to get it out of my system.

Maniac
The Exorcist: SE
The Exorcist: TVYNS
The Exorcist III
The Omen: SE
Silence of the Lambs: SE
Hannibal: SE
Red Dragon: DE
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Superbit)
Interview With The Vampire: SE
Halloween
The Sixth Sense: Vista
Night of the Living Dead: Millenium
Night of the Living Dead ('90)
Day of the Dead: SE
Creepshow
Creepshow 2
Maximum Overdrive
Children of the Corn
It
Carrie: SE
28 Days Later: SE
Alien Quadrilogy
The Shining
The Lost Boys

StephenA

Screenwriter
Oh yea, I forgot to post my DVD collection:

Halloween 1 and 2
Halloween extended
Alien
Aliens
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Texas Chainsaw Masscre 1 and 2
Dracula(1931)
Frankenstein(1931)
The Wolf Man(1942)
Cabinet of Dr Caligari(1920)
Creepshow 1 and 2
The Birds
Dead Alive
Bad Taste
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead SE
Night of the Living Dead(1990)
The Dead Next Door
Friday the 13 part 6: Jason Lives
From Dusk Till Dawn
Interview With the Vampire
Hellraiser 1, 2, and 4
Jaws
The Shining
The Lost Boys
Urban Legend
Zombie
Return of the Living Dead

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator

I got this the day it came out the sound is rough but an amazing picture. decent film..

TedT

Second Unit
Yeah, I got Uzumaki and thought it SUCKED! Very disappointed. A spiral? How stupid! Boring!

I may have to pick up Audition. What was so good about it (no spoilers please!)?

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator

Wellll it generated very good suspension of disbelief for my wife and I..the pacing was excellent and the climax was well pretty rough in a good horror movie kinda way....

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Hey, how about recommending some that's on cable right now? There are so many that I see while browsing but don't have enough time to check them all out.

Saw Ginger Snaps a couple of days ago. Interesting. Is this even on DVD?

TedT

Second Unit
Ginger Snaps in out in the US in a bare-bones edition. A Canadian version has a ton of extras. Still have to check that one out!

Saw Beyond Re-Animator over the weekend. Not bad, but of course it can't top the first one. Everyone complains how it should've had more gore in it, though I thought there was a good amount. The director even says they purposely cut down on the gore because the "times have changed". I thought that was odd, because aren't we living in the days of MORE extremeness? More bloody video games? More blood in mainstream movies and TV? Maybe he meant that the "times have changed" in Spain (where he lives and where the movie was filmed).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

I doubt that Brian Yuzna meant that society as a whole had changed in that way, but rather that film distribution has changed. There are no more independant companies that put out gory horror films of respectable quality. These days, you either get distribution by a major (who want an R rating) or you're stuck with the lowest of the low shot-on-video crap (e.g., Sub Rosa). This is a very different situation than when Re-Animator was released in 1985.

DJ

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I've read nothing but good things about the film, but have not found it anywhere in town. I'm hesitant to blind buy Asian horror after being disapointed by Ringu. Anyways, anyone who liked (or disliked) Uzumaki owe it to themselves to check out the Manga it was based on. It was serialized in the Viz magazine Pulp, and is now collected into graphice novels, also by Viz (in the US/ Canada at least). Tha manga was fantastic, and genuinely creepy, and it was the Spirals that made it so eerie. The movie looked highly stylized in comparisson, which I would guess give it a David Lynch quality compared to the out and out horror of the manga.

Love this thread! It's nice to be pointed in the direction of good horror, especially with all the direct to video garbage cluttering the shelves!

Anyone else eager to get their hands on Warners new Jeckel and Hyde today for a classic horror fix?

TedT

Second Unit

I'll sell you my copy if you want. $8 ppd. It's from Hong Kong though, so I don't know if you need a region free player or not. I can check once I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks