What's new

Horror novels recommendations (1 Viewer)

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Jack Ketchum's Off Season, and, The Girl Next Door(one of the most disturbing books ever written.)

Simon Clark's Blood Crazy(great apocalyptic novel), and Darkness Demands(superb)

Jame's Herbert's The Rats, The Fog, and, Fluke(not horror per se, but, an excellent book nonetheless)

Joe Lansdales The Drive-in, and his short story collection By Bizzare Hands(Joe can write some of the most off beat, funny, but horrifying stories)

Edward Lee, and Elizabeth Steffen's Portrait As A Psychopath As A Young Woman(I was really impressed with this because I thought it was going to be a gore for gore's sake novel, but it exceeded my expectations.Currently doing the rounds at work. Don't know when I'll ever see the damn book again.)

Rex Miller's Slob( Chaingang is one scary mofo)

George R.R. Martin's short story collection called Songs The Dead Men Sing(includes the classics The Monkey Treatment, and Nightflyers)

For extreme fiction try Edward Lee's The Bighead, or Goon(I'm talking extreme here.)

Also check out Duet For The Devil by T. Winter Damon, and Randy Chandler( this is a book based on the Zodiac killer. It's also one of the most graphic books I have ever read. Not disturbing, I mean graphic. Nothing left to the imagination)

Anything by Graham Masterton, The Manitou, Charnel House, Djinn, Flesh And Blood..., anything

Ray Garton's Live Girls is a very good vampire book

Tired of Vampires myself. They have been done to death(pardon the pun)

Just received Black Seas Of Infinity from The SCi-Fi book club. It's a collection of the best of HP Lovecraft. Figured I would finally give him a try.

There are many more great horror novels out there( I love the bugs on the rampage ones myself), so many short stories, but just no time in which to read and enjoy them.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Two books by George R.R. Martin, Fevre Dream (about vampires) & The Armageddon Rag are terrific. One of my favorite authors. Anything he writes is worth buying.

Robert McCammon's They Thirst is also a fun vampire novel.

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
I used to read mainly horror and covered the main stream pretty well.

Try Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite. Good Vampire Novel.

Try House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski for something different. Very interesting format.

Try Ghost Story by Peter Straub. Actually, anything by him is very good.

Mike

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've made myself a nice shopping list. To start, I'm buying a novel not mentioned here: The Forge of God by Greg Bear. :) And then I want to read The Power of Myth.
Then more gore!
Thanks guys, and feel free to stop back and offer more suggestions should they occur to you.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Joe R. Lansdale. Granted, he's more of a crime writer than horror (of course, true Lansdale fans will tell you the man can't be contained by any one genre ;)), but he's done some excellent horror stories. There was a time a few years back when he was being lumped in with the "splatterpunk" movement. The Drive In and The Drive In 2 are lots of fun, and a lot of his short stories are well worth checking out, especially The Night They Missed the Horrorshow.
(btw, another one of his horror stories, Bubba Ho-Tep, just got adapted into a movie starring Bruce Campbell and Ozzie Davis. Seems to be getting good reviews so let's hope it gets a distributor :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks