What's new

Horror Movie Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Like I said in the horror challenge thread, Inferno is a gorgeous film from beginning to end, possibly Argento's most visually stunning film to date, though that is disputable. The film is very bizarre, and makes little sense. Still, I do find myself enjoying most of the bizarre sequences. I like odd stuff, and like I said, the film is simply gorgeous. I love this film, but the lame Emerson score sounds terrible, and is a disappointment compared to Goblin's creepy Suspiria score. It doesn't seem to fit the film at all. Despite that qualm, and the film's tendency to be all over the map, I consider this a great film. I'm a huge Argento fan, and he certainly achieves what he set out to do with this one.

The events that unfold in Inferno's beautiful, surreal, yet dark world are truly a joy to witness, however bizarre they may be. Argento's style is at its very peak, and the film is very hypnotic. The imagery is just enthralling, and Argento's inspiration from the works of Bava is the most apparent here. Hell, Bava even directed the previously mentioned underwater ballroom sequence.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

While I like Argento a lot, Fulci is mainly a guilty pleasure for me. For every thing Fulci does well in one of his movies, there's usually at least one thing that just makes me laugh, like almost everything involving the main guy in The Beyond :) And yeah, that Argento's movies are gorgeous to look at is definitely among the reasons I like him.

Somewhat related to Italian horror, did anyone see that Entertainment Weekly photo issue that came out a couple of weeks before The Grudge? They recreated a few notable murder scenes from horror films, including Italian movies, with Sarah Michelle Gellar as the victim. IIRC, one of them was from Inferno, for example. It was unusually interesting for EW :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Yes, I would definitely suggest renting it first as it isn't a film made for everybody, it is also helpful to know a little about Argento's other early films before seeing this one.
I would say rent, in order:
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage
Deep Red
Suspiria

and then Inferno....but that's me.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
looks like this turned into the italian horror thread....Im usually a fan of argento but the last film I watched was just lousy "The Card player"...his giallo (giallae)? such as Bird with Crystal Plumage and Tennebre I enjoy more than say Deep Red (Profundo Rosso?) or Suspiria although I think the direction and sets on suspiria are amazing...as for Fulci cant really dig him..Ive seen NY Ripper..Dont Torture a Duckling.House of Clocks (made for tv).The Beyond and a few more just dont get em although his Zombie is a masterpiece of zombie movies...no mention of Lenzi or Deodato yet?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, here's a non-italian horror recommendation currently on DVD.....the German horror film Anatomie (2000)....Franka Potente stars in this interesting and hideous (if slightly unoriginal) thriller about medical students, underground societies, live autopsies and plasticized horror! With gore FX bound to make you squirm in your seat and obvious "borrowings" from many mid-to-late 90's american horror films such as Scream etc....it isn't original but it is very well done nonetheless......mmmm Franka Potente...

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Just to throw my opinion into the hat, Keith Emerson's score for Inferno is my favorite score for any of Dario's films. Yep, my opinions truly do suck that bad. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
And then of course there is the monstrous Japanese film Audition .....this is a one of a kind film that leads you along a deceptively quiet road until the ending....good lord...anyone who has seen this film knows exactly what i am referring to.

If you have a strong constitution then just rent it from Netflix blind, trust me....you will never forget this hideous film afterwards.

Speaking of Asian horror/thrillers you might just want to look into The Untold Story, a rather disturbing & supposedly true story of a serial killer in Hong Kong who "took over" ownership of a restaurant and began feeding his patrons "exotic" cuisine....warning: this film contains one of the more brutal rape scenes out there & is generally disgusting from start to finish....bring the KIDS!

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator

yep this was awesome best horror movie I had seen in a while the end was just .....yeah.......

going to see Saw tonight hoping for the best expecting the worst

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Not really a "horror" film as much as an in depth and ultimately disturbing true life character study from Peter Jackson, however Heavenly Creatures (1994) is well worth the look.
One of IMDB user comments pretty much outlines my feeling for the film perfectly -

"Not just for teens, this is...well...awesome...

I understand why teenage girls would like this movie--the thrilling rush of new found deep friendship tied together with nascent sexuality and all that comes with it...the defying of the confines of the world around them...the incredible power of unfettered creativity and self-delusional belief...

What's amazing is that a jaded thirty-something man like myself would consider it to be his favorite film of all time. Peter Jackson shows a deftness in handling interpersonal characterizations....Melanie Lynskey delivers a brave performance--giddy, childish, frightening, sexual, clouded... She's everything Christina Ricci pretends to be. Kate Winslet--hyper-bright and wonderful...Her character's overly cheerful demeanor is a mask that covers her disappointment in her parents--but it's extended so far that it no longer seems like a mask...it seems to be a force of nature that drags Lynskey's Pauline along for a dangerous ride...a ride that Winslet's Juliet is in no position to control. There are crisp performances from all of the supporting cast as well.
Jackson should be listed with Gilliam and even Lynch when it comes to directors who can achieve a glorious, if dark, vision."

- couldn't have said it better myself.

The current DVD is "uncut" as it re-inserts a few scenes cut from the american release, the main scene of controversy is the final shot that many here have stated a dislike for as it "adds nothing to the film"...I disagree because IMO it was a rather good point to bring back that, although the film portrayed these girls in a rather sympathetic light, in the end They did murder someone...rather horribly
. Jackson has stated (I think) that he prefers the shorter cut but it is only shorter by roughly 1 1/2 min. so I don't see how making it shorter by that small a length of time helped the pacing all that much.

But however you feel about the end shot the uncut DVD has a fantastic transfer and shouldn't be passed by...it can be had for quite cheap as well...I recommend it but be aware that it is a teenage character study and not as horrific as it is sadly disturbing in the final moments.

Edited many times for crap spelling and simpleton writing skills...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with you on Heavenly Creatures, Kevin. Very creepy and disturbing film. I rented it about a year ago and have caught it on Showtime a few times since then...maybe I'll have to buy it one of these days.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm pretty sure, but people keep telling me I did :)

I got an email from a kid a few months ago that said something like "My parents won't let me watch your show! What should I do?" :D

...nice to have adoring fans confusing me for someone else, hehe.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's a very good movie, based on a classic MR James story called Casting the Runes. For a 50's film the effects are even pretty good. I really like Jaques Torneur as a director.

I'm a big fan of The Devil's Backbone, directed by Guillermo Del Toro. If I was to make a top 10 list of my favorite movies from the past decade, this movie would definitely be on it. Not very scary but just really, really good. I can't wait to see his follow-up, Pan's Labyrinth.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Maybe I'll have to rent Night of the Demon.

I'm with you on The Devil's Backbone. I watched it for the challenge and it was one of the big highlights. It's hard to describe it, but damn it's good :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, The Devil's Backbone is fantastic, I love shlocky horror but it is good to see intelligent and creepy horror films being made as well.

After he finishes Pan I hope Del Toro really does take on H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.....that will be something to see & something I have been hoping some brave talented director would tackle.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just finished watching The American Nightmare, a documentary on the big 70s horror films and their relation to what was happening socially. I saw it when it was first on IFC 4 years ago, but I decided to rent it and rewatch. Pretty solid stuff. Good interviews with Wes Craven, George Romero, Tom Savini, David Cronenberg, and John Carpenter. If you like a lot of the 70s movies (Last House, TCM, Dawn, etc) you should check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks