What's new

Horror hosts on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I'm a huge fan. Growing up in Western Mass Sat and Sun Afternoons were spent watching many of the great shows on Early Cable and Rabbit Ears from Boston

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If you haven't seen it, you should check out the documentary, AMERICAN SCARY (2006), about the 'horror host' phenomenon over the decades. Interspersed with contemporary interviews with surviving hosts and fans, it has a bunch of clips of various classic hosts doing their thing in their prime, including Vampira, Zacherle, Ghoulardi, Elvira, The Ghoul, Son of Svengoolie, Seymour, Stella, Chilly Billy Cardille, Count Gore De Vol, Morgus, Sir Graves Ghastly, Big Chuck & Li'l John, John Stanley, Commander USA, etc, as well as newer hosts from the world of local access cable and the internet (i.e. Penny Dreadful). While the clips aren't enough to suffice as intros to any classic creature feature you might pull off the shelf, it's a fun an interesting flick, and will give you a taste of their various shticks, in case you go looking around for further footage of them on YouTube, DVD, etc.
Here's the trailer:
And the full feature is available, licensed/legitimately, for free viewing on YouTube as well:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob_S. said:
Growing up in South Jersey, I watched Dr. Shock from Philly.

This is pretty awesome. The best part is at the beginning where Dr.Shock emerges from the coffin while the toddler girl bounces with glee.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Dave Scarpa said:
Yeah I'm a huge fan. Growing up in Western Mass Sat and Sun Afternoons were spent watching many of the great shows on Early Cable and Rabbit Ears from Boston

This is a recreated opening with original audio :)

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I'm my family's early cable days we would watch "Creature Features" on KTVU channel 2 Oakland, CA. First hosted by Bob Wilkins (who was also Capt. Cosmic during the day) and later by John Stanley. Great Saturday night fun!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I believe we had John Stanley in Los Angeles for a short while. He was supplanted by Seymour, who was in turn replaced by Elvira.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I found a website devoted to Bob Wilkins:

http://www.bobwilkins.net/

Looks like he passed away in 2009. There are DVDs available of him hosting Creature Features but the films included are not the ones from the original broadcasts due to rights issues. I ordered one anyway. I wish I had video editing software so I could edit in the correct film. There are also links to John Stanley's website where he also offers DVDs of his time on the show.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
bigshot said:
Elvira has a great box set!

All the episodes of her most recent series from 2010 including the unaired episodes (26 shows,6 unaired) are all out on DVD. She really put together a good series this time around, but ended up with poor clearances (time-slots) and couldn't get good advertisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks