What's new

Horrible overscan on Mitsubishi WS-65807 (with pics!) (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
These are just two examples of the horrendous overscan present on my Mits. TV. They're caps from the awesome movie Batman Forever! ;) In any case, this is one of the movies that really brought it to my attention (although I really didn't realize how bad it was until now).
(Note: the white bars are the areas cut off)
Obviously I can't link directly to pics on a lycos page, so just click here and you should see them
As you can see, even some of the credits are cut off and I find this unacceptable! Plus, the framing now looks very cramped due to the cropping (as expected) and it's just bugging the hell out of me on every movie. This is the reason I want to find a good DVD player (non-Malata) that has incremental zoom and a panning feature (if you can help on this, please post to this thread. I currently have a Malata N996 player which has been having some serious freezing issues since my last move and would like a player from a different company.
I'm not sure how much a professional ISF calibration will help in removing this overscan. If it is calibrated correctly, would most DVD players display the full frame on the DVD? I've heard of the "player generated zoom" present on many models, but obviously cannot confirm or deny this without removing most/all of the overscan on my set.
Shizzle.
mike.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It looks like the TV is in one of the zoom modes, but if overscan is indeed your problem it is easily corrected in the service menu. Go to the Hometheaterspot.com and you can find detailed instructions on how to fix it. It shouldn't take you more than a half an hour or so.

I got mine to around 5% on my Mits 55908 without messing up the geometry using Avia. Most Mits TVs I have seen come with around 7-10% from the factory.

Good luck,

DJ

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Most of the Widescreen HDTVs at Sears running off Dish HD Net was like that. Hmm. I tried fixing it on one of the TVs, but there was no option. Maybe it was the Dish Network box itself. I don't even think they were using the 3 color Component connections either.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
It's not in any zoom mode. There's about 7.5% overscan on the right, 2.5%overscan on the left, 2.5% overscan on the bottom, and 7.5% overscan on the top. Basically, it's shifted up and right - not too noticeable if you're not looking for it, but once you notice it, it's pretty bad. I tried to bring it down to ~4% overall, but wasn't able to correct the convergence issues left over on the right portion of the screen. Maybe with a bit more messing around I'll be able to calibrate it correctly, but am very leary of fiddling around with the service menus...

That being said, I don't believe that just by correcting the overscan, the full image of a given DVD will be seen. There's a heckuva lot more than 2.5% being cut off the left side of the screen. It would appear that the only good option would be to calibrate the set and then have a DVD player with incremental zoom. Apparently my only option for the player is a Malata.

mike.

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mike,

Though a bit more expensive and not as user friendly, an htpc is also an option. For playing DVDs, you get almost an infinite amount of adjustability on screen size ... and without having to enter the service menu.

Thanks,
Errol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks