What's new

Hope for long lost shows? (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I hope a show over 20 yrs old counts as a 'long lost show'.

There are a couple of odd shows I would love to see released.

First is SANFORD, Redd Foxx's sequel to SANFORD AND SON. The son was gone to Alaska but Fred was still danged funny!!

Marvel's cheap made-for-tv fare (Spider Man, Dr. Strange telefilm, the two Capt America telefilms). None of it very good but something odd enough to hold my attention.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have to assume there was some legal hang-up regarding the Nicholas Hammond Spiderman stuff or surely it would have made it to DVD long ago. It was cheaply produced but the two-part "Deadly Dust" (released on VHS) with JoAnna (Isis) Cameron is well worth it!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
bretmaverick2 said:
I hope a show over 20 yrs old counts as a 'long lost show'.

There are a couple of odd shows I would love to see released.

Marvel's cheap made-for-tv fare ( the two Capt America telefilms). None of it very good but something odd enough to hold my attention.
This has been available from Shout Factory since 2011. You can get it for about $10 (or less).

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
AndyMcKinney said:
This has been available from Shout Factory since 2011. You can get it for about $10 (or less).
Just be warned that the Shout Factory release has a badly cut "Death Too Soon" on it, missing about 8 minutes of footage.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I have been pretty lucky the last couple of years, as a lot of my 'holy grail' type shows have been released or are soon to be released (Dark Shadows, Batman, the Maverick series).

A few other series I would like to see (mainly because I am a "completist" by nature): GRADY (another S&S spinoff), THE COLBYS (Dynasty spinoff).

Outside of spinoff type shows, I wouldn't mind all episodes of The Danny Thomas Show/Make Room For Daddy being released.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If the channels do start out with the "same old, same old" that's not so bad. They have to start somewhere and will need popular, reliable shows to help build their initial audience. It's probably also a lot easier (and cheaper) to aquire those shows rather than someone having to find the original tapes of something obscure and have those converted.

People complain about certain shows not being available but they don't stop and think about the effort and expense it would take to find these shows and handle them properly.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
John Karras said:
Just be warned that the Shout Factory release has a badly cut "Death Too Soon" on it, missing about 8 minutes of footage.
Really??!! What happened/what's missing? I may still have the MCA/Universal VHS of this, though I think I ended up selling it (I had converted my copy to DVD-R before the Shout! release came out, but don't know if I even still have it or not).

Any chance the version of the Shout release is the "from CBS" version and those eight minutes were added to pad things out for foreign theatrical (like what happened with the Spider-man pilot), or did Shout simply screw up?

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
The CBS broadcast version had a running time of 96 minutes. The episode was then placed in a syndicated movie package and was sold as a barter item, and was slightly trimmed (as is usually the case in syndication) to 92 minutes. However, the Shout release runs 88 minutes. I kept my original broadcast version, but have not done a comparison to determine the footage that was cut. The bottom line is that the Shout Factory release is chopped up.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Even with Bret Maverick coming out last week, It does seem like we're Ina drought of news concerning older, lost series. I know that the shows I'm after are not well known to to the majority of the current tv market, but still . . . It would be nice if there was bit more info on some one-offs, like more Salvage One TV movies, and everybody here has a holy grail or two.P.S. A WB question, after the FBI and Alice, what are the longest running WB shows that haven't made it out to DVD? Jthree

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The one I'm hoping and praying for is ADVENTURES IN PARADISE, a fascinating one of a kind series that's long overdue. If you can placate the Shulman heirs, you should be able to placate the Michener heirs. The show was just too fine to let the elements rot away.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
This show and Hong Kong the 1961 tv show are the ones I'm really hoping for. Is the hold up for Adventures in Paradise because James Michener did not want it to see the light of day?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
This show and Hong Kong the 1961 tv show are the ones I'm really hoping for. Is the hold up for Adventures in Paradise because James Michener did not want it to see the light of day?
Both shows are A) owned by Fox and B) have never been transferred to a tape format. Maybe that's the holdup or it could be the rights by the Michener estate. To the best of my knowledge, no company has made any serious inquiries about either show so we don't really know.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
Both shows are A) owned by Fox and B) have never been transferred to a tape format. Maybe that's the holdup or it could be the rights by the Michener estate. To the best of my knowledge, no company has made any serious inquiries about either show so we don't really know.
I've also heard there's the usual music issues as well.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm still holding out hope for Chico & The Man. I saw the TV Favorites release just recently and it made me wonder why the whole series hasn't been released yet.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Music clearance. Warner Archive said over two years ago there were problems there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks