Hope for long lost shows?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Neil Brock, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Just got sent this article. Apparently, one of the ideas that we have always bounced around on the Forum might actually be coming to fruition - decades TV channels similar to what satellite radio provides. Great idea but I would be guarded in my optimism.

1 - They are saying advertiser supported as opposed to pay channels so that means shows will be edited for commercial time.

2 - Don't know if they will have it in their budget to purchase series which have no existing videotape masters and that need transfers from the original elements.

3 - No fifties channel, which I kind of understand as they probably feel that people who remember fifties shows at this point are too old and the shows are too dated. Would have been nice to see some of the great live anthologies broadcast but I guess they don't want to have an all black and white kinescope channel.

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Well hell, that leaves out stuff like The Twilight Zone (started in '59), about a million westerns (including Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, HGWT, Wyatt Earp, WB westerns,etc), cop shows (Dragnet, Richard Diamond, The Lineup, etc), Sitcoms (Phil Silvers, Danny Thomas, Lucy, etc) as you mentioned great anthologies (Studio One, Westinghouse, US Steel, Playhouse 90, etc). Crap, a HUGE number of great old shows left out if there is no 50's channel. I wouldn't subscribe, I don't think, without one.

3. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Garth Ancier himself responded in the comments on the Variety article and he claims they will go back to the "original network-length masters" and everything will be broadcast in HD. Sounds nice.

MatthewA likes this.
  4. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Is there a link to the article? I don't see one.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Here is the link
    http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/garth-ancier-lines-up-tv-vets-to-launch-four-retro-cable-nets-exclusive-1200490723/

Here is the relevant portion of the article:

6. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Here's my reply to the article:

Garth, I love, LOVE, the idea!!! TV Land has became a also-ran over the years starting with edited shows and now its so-called original "programming." I would implore you to give coverage to shows that have been stalled out on DVD: The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, My Three Sons, Barnaby Jones and so many others.

I'm also pleased you're going back to the unedited masters. It's about time someone did this. Again, this was a turn-off with TV Land and other stations. I was privileged to see 6 1/2 seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies in syndication unedited (for some reason the station didn't have all of S7 and never showed S8 or S9) and I can always tell where the show was cut. Personally, I refuse to watch any show that's edited unless the original source material was lost and that's all that is available.

How about some one-hit wonders? Enos (spin-off from The Dukes of Hazzard), Flo (spin-off from Alice) Three's A Crowd and The Ropers (both spin-offs from Three's Company), Joanie Loves Chochi, Goodnight Beantown (starred Bill Bixby), After-Mash and probably a lot of others I could think of. It would also be nice to see the cult classics B.J. and the Bear and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo.

Thank you for what you're doing!!!!

7. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

He mentions Lost in Space and Three's Company in the article as not being in syndication but we all know Three's Company was rerun to death on TV Land in 3-hour blocks recently and Lost in space is on Me-TV, as well as both shows are on DVD so if anyone really wants to see them they are available. I would have been more excited if he specifically mentioned long-lost shows like Farmer's Daughter, Ben Casey, or Nanny and the Professor, etc. I guess I don't want to get my hopes up because I'm skeptical after the whole Antenna TV experience when said they were going to air The Farmer's Daughter, and they never did.

8. Albert71292

Albert71292 Stunt Coordinator

Albert Sims
    "EVERYTHING" will be broadcast in HD? Guess they don't plan on showing any TV series originally shot on videotape from most of those decades then! Those will NEVER be HD.

9. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I've seen Hee Haw (originally done on video) "cleaned up" for DVD and it looked pretty astounding compared to what is being aired on RFD-TV.

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Garth didn't say everything would be broadcast in HD. What he actually said was:
    This is similar to what Hallmark HD does with shows like Murder She Wrote. It does look better than SD, but you're right, it's not as good as film.

11. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    With no 50's shows, this would be a little less interesting to me. Aren't there still alot of "baby boomers" out there who still remember those old shows?

12. Neil Brock

Yes, but they are considered unimportant by advertisers because they aren't easily bamboozled by commercials.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  13. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

In my experience (in my own family), senior citizens are more easily bamboozled than younger folk (especially by those commercials that are meant to look like news reports, etc).

14. AndyMcKinney

Unfortunately, it also sounds like a pipe dream. I doubt it ever happens or if he does get something off the ground, it not what he's originally planned (i.e. one channel instead of four, edited-for-syndication instead of uncut, etc).

Those with long-enough memories will recall when first announced (before it was ever picked up for broadcast), the Sci-Fi channel was going to run all sorts of shows, unedited (including Doctor Who from the very beginning). Between the initial announcemens and them actually getting launched, they were acquired by USA Networks (which is probably what got them carriage on cable/satellite), and the whole "uncut" thing immediately flew out the window, as did other things (such as early Doctor Who).

It's one thing to announce you're doing four retro channels, and all of them will be uncut, but if you can't sell them to the major cable systems (and Dish/DirecTV), you're probably going to have to make compromises.

15. AndyMcKinney

Just because a show started in the late '50s wouldn't preclude it from a '60s channel. Most people consider Twilight Zone a product of the '60s. I don't think the fact that 1/2 of the first season belonged to the 1950s would make any difference in whether the show is on such a channel or not (I think cost and/or whether contracts with other broadcasters like MeTV would be more important factors to consider).

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, right. That's why CBS (who has a median viewer age of 60 and is by far the highest rated channel on TV) has the highest ad rates because advertisers love spending all that money on commercials for people they don't care about and that are too smart to be suckered in by those ads.

17. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    I would buy all of those in a minute!!

18. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    As suggested, it's all about the elements!

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    And yet, Antenna TV and Me-TV are showing several series from the 1950s (including those that at least began in that decade). But I just said to someone this very day that the 1950s are fading away now, given that those who lived through at least part of the decade are well over 50 now, and I guess we don't count any more.

On Antenna and Me-TV:

I Love Lucy
    The Honeymooners
    The Donna Reed Show
    Leave It to Beaver
    Perry Mason
    The Rifleman
    Wagon Train
    Bonanza
    The Phil Silvers Show
    Dobie Gillis
    Make Room for Daddy
    Naked City
    Peter Gunn
    The Twilight Zone
    Mr. Lucky
    The Burns and Allen Show
    The Jack Benny Program
    Bachelor Father
    Father Knows Best
    Dennis the Menace
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin

That's a lot of shows from an era that isn't supposed to matter any more! (It's kind of creepy to think, though, that the 1950s are to today what the 1890s were to the 1950s, and that seemed really old!)

Ron1973 likes this.
  20. Neil Brock

Yes, but so many others are buried:

Life of Riley
    Private Secretary
    The Ann Sothern Show
    My Little Margie
    Oh Susanna
    Love That Bob
    The People's Choice
    Our Miss Brooks