What's new

hookup ?'s-- dvd/stereo receiver/a surround sound processor (1 Viewer)

Tina Brist

Auditioning
here's the components--
a JVC RX-206BK stereo receiver
a JVC SU-A97 surround sound processor
a Sampo DVE-611 dvd player
right now I have 2 RCA composite cables and I need to know how to hookup the rcvr, the DVD, and the surround sound processor together. I've tried different combos with no luck--do I hookup the rcvr and the DVD into the SSP--or the SSP and DVD into the rcvr? do I use the two AC unswitched outlets on the rcvr--or the ones on the SSP? and where do the speaker cables go--into the rcvr--or the SSP? do I need more composite cables? I'm sorry--I'm so dumb about this! it's driving me nuts. it's not like I'm even looking for that "theater-quality" sound-- all I'm really needing is the ability to hear the DVD without having the poor old receiver cranked to its maximum and my left ear stuck up against the speaker in order to listen. (I'm not kidding) I just need regular volume--not digital surround sound. thanks in advance for any help.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tina,

Although I'm not familiar with those JVCs, I'll try to help :).

First, you have to establish which of the two sound processors is the most advanced: the separate one or the one in your receiver. Look for the "higher" words Dolby Digital (or even DTS), Dolby Surround or Dolby 5.1.

If one of the two is Dolby Pro-Logic only, that's the older one. If they have the same capabilities, you may still be wanting to use the sound-processor, because it may have more sophisticated functions (even if you're not using them now).

I assume you will always want to use the receiver, because most probably it will have more powerful amplifiers (if the SS even has them).

Note that it's all about the audio only, your video signal should go from your DVD-player straight into the TV (unless you have another video source, but let's forget about that now).

So, here are two different setups, one with the SS, one without:

(1) Using sound-processor + receiver:
This will work only if your receiver has 'channel inputs', i.e. inputs that are not being processed by a Dolby Digital processor (often called pre-in or something like that).
Hook the DVD player to the sound processor using the RCA coax cable. If the sound processor has "pre-outs" (5 channels, but not the speaker outs), hook those one-to-one to the receiver pre-ins. If the SS doesn't have them, use the speaker-outs of the surround processor instead.
Connect the receiver speaker-outs to the speakers.
Note: in this configuration you're not using the receiver's sound processing modes, so don't bother with those settings. Make sure the SS is set right!

(2) Using the receiver only:
Connect the RCA audio from the DVD-player to the receiver. Connect the speaker-outs to the proper speakers. Presto!
Just make sure the sound-processing settings on the receiver are correct.

Hope this helps a bit. If there's someone on the forum who's familiar with those machines, he/she may be a better help. If you don't get a proper answer: send a PM to member Ricky T, he once wrote that he's a JVC dealer.

Cees

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Tina,

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with those JVC models. I agree with Cees...please tell us if the SU-A97 is capable or dolby digital and/or dts? Or is it just dolby pro logic? Any chance you can find links for those two JVCs?

Also, how many speakers are you hooking up? Subwoofer too?

Tina Brist

Auditioning
thanks for the helpful responses!
i hate to say it--but i believe that neither of these items is dolby-anything capable. these old guys are both kinda prehistoric. that's ok with me since i'm really not going for the movie theater sound--and as far as speakers go --i'm just going with two fronts for right now. (i know--i'm lame--and non-commital when it comes to this "home theater" thing--forgive me!)
right now i have the dvd audio going into the JVC rcvr's tape 2 video/sound inputs--and sound is ok--but i have to crank the rcvr to maximum to hear anything. perhaps--my speakers are woosy? i think they're 8 ohms--and big!
hope this helps you in helping me!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I don't think your need the surround processor at all with 2 speakers, take it OUT of the loop; I believe this unit would decode rear speakers.

Try the following:

1) plug the DVD player's power cord into one of the receivers' unswitched outlets

2) connect the speaker wires to the receiver

3) connect the L&R composite audio cables to a different input on the receiver...say the "CD" input

The video connection from DVD player to TV is ok?

Tina Brist

Auditioning
i'm using an rf modulator to handle the video--since the tv has only a single coaxial input. i will definitely take your advice--and also maybe look into getting more ballsy speakers! thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks