What's new

Hookup problem (1 Viewer)

tyry

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Tine
I just re-connected my Onkyo tsxr605receiver and Panasonic BD35 blu ray (which worked just fine together) from a smaller bedroom TV (via HDMI) to my larger Samsung DLP (via DVI to HDMI - the TV only has one input.) . I am able to watch TV (Cable mode) and for play CD's (in the receiver's DVD mode). When I try to play a DVD, I get a message on the TV that says "not supported mode". There's no videol I do hear the MGM lion roar when I put in the DVD, but then no sound therafter. I've tried some of the menus in the TV and Receiver, but no luck. As an added problem, there's no response from the Sujfire subwoofer. The receiver manual mentioned about adjusting the low pass filter, but I dont seem to have one (only Bass Level, Crossover and Phase knobs.) Any guidance in resolving either of these two issues would be greatly appreciated.

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have seen others on this forum discuss similar problems when using DVI / HDMI connections. I have not had a chance to encounter this first hand, however I am led to believe that the electronic "handshake" can't occur in your current configuration. The "handshake" I am talking about is based on the HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) requirement in HDMI connected devices. I think that the DVI side of the connection is not able to answer when the HDMI side transmits, so the connection is not completed and therefore lost.

I would be interested in hearing from others to verify my thoughts on this. As it would appear that both side of the connection need to be either non-HDMI or both sides need to be HDMI, not as you currently have it now.

Other possible problems that may exist are based on assignment of the device or the receiver to the input used. You may want to verify those as the could be the cause some issues similar to those discussed in your opening to this thread.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I get that message sometimes, when I switch from the ps3 to tv. I turn off the receiver only, for 2-3 seconds, then turn it back on and everything is ok. See if that helps you.

tyry

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Tine
Mike, Thanks - I've been reading some other online information, and this DVI-HDMI hookup could be the problem. Some posts say that once the connection is removed and replaced with component hookup, that should do it. Unfortunately, I just removed about a dozen wires (about $500 worth of wires back from 2004) in the hopes of simplifying with the HDMI connections in order to play blu ray and hear the lossless audio. Seems like I would be defeating the purpose if I go back to the component hookup.

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Paul,

I'm with you on the diminishing wires thing - simpler is better in a lot of ways - but I think technology has dealt you hand that you can't fix otherwise.

Let's take this from another perspective. The receiver is capable of accepting the HDMI which should allow you access to the lossless audio. So...run the HDMI from Blu-Ray to receiver and the component from Blu-ray to TV.

Although, you did mention that there was only one input - I assume you mean only one fully digital input such as DVI/HDMI...Am I right? I assume that you have a component input on the set.

I am also assuming that the set is DLP Projection and that the resolution is 720p or 1080i and that the compnent is not going to be an issue with resolution.

All of this results in you having to use a few more wires and to press a few more timinoggles to watch a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks