What's new

Hooking up VHS to DVD Recorder (1 Viewer)

Mark_Paul

Agent
Did a search for this, but found nothing specific.

I have a number of VHS tapes that I want to archive to DVD. I was going to use my PC, but was surprised at the cost of getting good results.

So If I hook up a decent recorder to my video, what sort of results will that give me? Are they perfect copies of my originals tapes? Any further purchaces other than the recorder?

Will probably get the panny e50, by the way.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, you should be perfectly fine copying the tapes as long as they are not copyrighted...

If they are copyrighted, you are up the creek... Thats unless you want to go towards illegal ways which of course is a big no no...

Just remember to use the XP or SP modes... LP will give you less than steller quality... Ep is just horrible from what I have heard and you shouldnt even waste your time with it...

There is a law that states we can transfer and make back up's of items we own... But, yet no one allows this... Many people want to transfer their VHS tapes to DVD and are unable to do so... I dont see what the big deal is really... I mean we already own and bought the tapes...

Mark_Paul

Agent
They're just old animated shows and sporting events that I taped, so no copy-protection. But what I want to know is will I do perfect copies of the original tape? The tapes are in good shape, so I don't want the signal to the recorder to deteriorate in any way. I was thinking I may have to buy a good quality lead? What do you think?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Oh, ok...

About the quality issue... I am not completely sure... I dont see why it would decrease, but then again I am not completely sure...

Someone else would be better for answering that question...

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
As long as you stick to the 1 or 2 hr recording mode (XP, SP) you should be ok with quality. I did record a Futurama episode once and got some pixelization (?) on some scenes but nothing major. This was even in best mode XP on the E80 hard drive.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've copied all my 8mm video and VHS-C videos to my Philips DVDR 75 recorder in 2 hour mode and the quality was equal to the original.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was also wondering about this. And was also looking at the Panasonic E50 (in the $400 range).

How easy is it to do? Is it like copying a video tape? Does it have inputs to just plug in the VCR?

mairambia

Auditioning
Real Name
marmar
or you can visit and try VHS-to-DVD.com servises and copy your home video tapes to dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks