What's new

hooking up DVD to receiver - newbie question (1 Viewer)

Martin_Dean

Auditioning
I was wondering what's the advantage of doing that rather than going directly to my TV. Is there any difference in image quality? I have Sony STR-DE685 receiver, Sony DVP-NC665P progressive scan DVD and Panasonic widescreen HDTV. Right now I have it hooked up to my TV via component cable. I heared that there are some options on receivers that can only be accessed through on-screen menus when it's hooked up that way (DVD-receiver-TV). Is that true? I just wanted to make sure before I spend $100 for another component cable.

Thanks for any help.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Convenience. But is that really an advantage? In some cases, maybe. Best to connect a player directly to the display. The potential for signal degradation is minimized.

Martin_Dean

Auditioning
Thanks fopr reply Jack but I just found someone else mention it in FAQ and they say again that there are certain options that can be accessed only this way. So how is it?

This is the quote and it's by Neil Joseph:

Why video inputs/outputs on a receiver?

Why?
Basically, there are three major reasons to make use of the video inputs/outputs on the back of a receiver...

1- To make use of the onscreen display function so that when the receiver's remote button is pressed, that function e.g. "mute" is shown on the display device's screen. In addition, many modern receivers have complicated setup options and calibration screens available ONLY via the on screen display. Some products are IMPOSSIBLE to set up correctly without using the video connection to your TV set.

2- To provide more video inputs. This is particularly useful these days with so many display devices being available. For example, if you have a TV that only has 2 video inputs, what do you do if you have a DVD player, a VCR, a game console, a satellite setup, a laserdisc player etc etc. How do you hook all of these devices up to a TV that only has 2 inputs available???

3- Increased convenience of video switching along with audio mode switching. The receiver acts as a control center, handling all the routing for you.
EDIT: Actually bought the cable, hooked it up but can't find any on screen options :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks