What's new

Honda vs Toyota...opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I own a 2004 Solara V6 SLE, first year with their current look, and I love it.

Interior is Lexus-like. Rock solid, not a single rattle after 2 years and 30,000 miles of driving. It's extremely comfortable for me a a short (5'4") guy, but my taller friends love the comfort of the car.

Rear visability problems though, are for real. It takes a bit of time to get used to and adjust...And to look back over your shoulder when you change lanes, which you're really supposed to do anyway. It's like driving by the drivers ed. rules back in high school.;)

My Solara had one problem with a left drift issue, and that took Toyota quite a while to release a TSB on. But once they did, they fixed it without hassle. Other than this, the car has been flawless.

An Accord is a sportier, less soft ride with tighter handling, though a fine car. Depends on what you prefer.

IMO, the Solara is the total package in its price range because it gives you an incredibly comfortable ride, plus ample acceleration to pass. The car is pretty quick.

The rear, yes, it's a little, uh, stubby...But I'm not looking at it. That's a love/hate thing. Some people think the rear is hideous, some have no problem with it.

The G35 coupe is one that I test drove, but in the end the price difference between an SLE and G35 is pretty wide.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I think without a doubt the Honda is the better car. Especially as far as sportiness, driver-response, athleticism goes. But if you like the Solara now, you are going to regret it if you don't get it.

In a recent Car and Driver comparison, they ranked several $25k-$30k sporty sedans.

1. VW Jetta GLI (turbo 4)
2. Honda Accord (V6)
3. Acura TSX (I4)
4. Mazdaspeed 6 (turbo 4)
5. Camry (V6)

So there's quite a bit of separation there between the Camry and Accord. This comparison was of sedan models, but I'm sure the coupes are so similar the comparisons will hold. Only the Accord and Camry (Solara) come in coupe versions.

You could look at a VW GTI too, (2-door hatchback version of Jetta) but I have a feeling it is not what you are looking for. Quality on VW's is certainly lower than Honda/Toyota.

A used G35 coupe would really be ideal for you. I would like one of those myself, actually. =)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The fact that the Solara is ostensibly built on the Camry platform may lead one to believe it's going to have a major change at the same time as the "parent" model. With the Solara this just isn't the case, it's going to be at least a year behind. Same with the Avalon, which also supposedly uses the Camry platform, though it's even more differentiated than the Solara is these days.

Do NOT buy a Solara convertible. It's another ASC (American Sunroof Corporation) chop job--semi-complete coupes are shipped to ASC who chops of the top, installs the convertible mechanism along with power lowering rear side windows, and re-inforces the unibody to supposedly compensate for the lack of roof structure. Result is considerable body shake/shimmy on any kind of less than perfect road surface. The top mechanism is decent but the rear quarter windows added by ASC are not the most reliable at keeping their alignment and have problems with nylon/plastic track guides breaking and such. IMHO if one must have a convertible one is better off with something designed, engineered, and built by the OEM specifically as a convertible, not a conversion. Examples of decent soft tops are the Mazda Miata, Honda S-2000, BMW, Mercedes. The new generation Mustang is also done by Ford in house and from the earliest part of the process a convertible model was part of the design process at Ford. I haven't driven on yet but it's chances of being done right are pretty good.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

I LOVE the looks of the rear end, and, as long as I can deal with the very probable visibility issue, I consider it an asset instead of a liability. My Gran Torino (which I also loved, as noted earlier) also had a rather high and sloping rear end (but not so rounded), and I didn't have any major problems dealing with it. I'm hoping the Solara will be the same...

My T-bird's rear end is, of course, pretty low, flat, and level, so the Solara would definitely take some getting used to. But, I'm thinking it'll be worth the effort... :)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

No worries...I can't stand convertibles. I loved the T-tops on my Z28s, but that's as close as I ever wanna come to a convertible.

And, thanks again for the reassurances about the lag in the style change. I'm totally intrigued and excited by the Solara, and looking forward to hopefully acquiring one in the future, but I'm still not ready to let go of my beloved T-bird... Looks like I don't have to worry about being forced into that anytime soon.

I would just go ahead and move on the Solara and still keep the T-bird, but I really don't wanna shell out for insurance for BOTH. Don't have the extra garage space either. :frowning:

Spencer M

Grip
Well for my 2 cents as I've been reading this thread for the past few days. I own 2 Toyotas (1999 4Runner SR5 4x4,06 4Runner Limited V8 4x4) and 1 Honda (04 S2000). All three have been great vehicles my 99 4Runner has 105K and besides general maintenance has been trouble free since the day I drove it off the lot. My other two, also bought new have been no trouble...the S2000 much like a Camaro is $$$ on the tires but no mechanical problems or rattles or squeaks inside. The S2000 is my first and only Honda I've ever owned. They are a blast very much a drivers car. I would not at all suggest one for everyone where as they can get away from you in a snap. If Honda made a SUV that compared to the Toyota 4Runner I am sure I would own one. It sounds like your mind is made up on the Solaro. Can't go wrong with a Toyota.

Ken Makela

Stunt Coordinator
I've had 2 4Runners (2000 V6 & 2003 V8) and they are bullet proof. I just saw a reliability ranking for mid size SUVs and the 4Runner was #1. My wife had a 2000 Camry (4 cyl.), it was OK but I wasn't overly impressed. There were some minor annoyances that the dealer didn't correct. Mechanically it was sound. When her lease was up on that we almost got a Civic. It was better equipped than the base Corolla we were looking at, for the same price. Toyota ponied-up to an LE and all bets were off. I personally found the Civic's ride harsher than the Corolla's. I know this could be called more tactile or sporty, but I prefer a smoother ride.

It's almost a coin toss with these 2 manufacturers. Whatever you "feel" better with go for it. I personally may go for the Solara coupe next time, when our current Corolla lease is up.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I know the two cars you are looking at. I almost bought a used Solara last summer, but was underwhelmed by the power from the V-6 and ended up with and Audi A4. My question is are you totally opposed to getting a car that is maybe a year or two old? The reason I say that is if you would consider that you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't check out the Infiniti G35 Coupe. In my opinion one of the most beautiful coupes today under 50k. I have seen used ones that are 1.5-2 years old going in the upper 20's.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

I really prefer new cars only. I like to know (and be in control of) the car's entire history, including the important "breaking in" period. (Depreciation be damned! :D )

Granted, the Infiniti is gorgeous, and I'm sure it lives up to its looks. But...the closest Infiniti dealer for me (and, in fact, the ONLY one in South Carolina) is in Columbia, which is 75 miles from me.

I really prefer having most (and almost all major) service done at an authorized dealership, with original parts, etc. Just a personal choice, of course, but it's served me well in the past. It's bad enough having to spend precious days off from work sitting at the LOCAL (about 11 miles from home) dealership, or being shuttled home in the courtesy van and then having to arrange for someone to take me back for the pickup... That would just be too much of a hassle at that distance. Or, at least more of a hassle than I'm willing to put myself through.

Gorgeous car, though, with (from all I've read and heard) a well-earned great reputation... Just not viable for my circumstances. My loss, I'm sure. :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I had an 88 T-Bird..best American car I ever owned. My biggest complaint with that car for the first 80,000 miles was the paint on the rear bumper peeled off. I still miss that car.

You'll have no problem getting used to Solara blind spot. I was casual about it until having a close call on the highway shortly after I got the car. From that point on, I was more aware of it and have had no trouble since...Nothing frequent mirror use and over the shoulder checking can't solve.:)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've owned two Toyota's, an FX-16 GTS and a Camry LE, and currently drive a 2004 Honda Accord EX. The FX-16 GTS was a pocket-rocket which was probably the most fun I've ever had driving a car, not terribly fast, but adequate there, but the handling was just a joy.

The Camry, a 1996, was dependable, stable, and roomy for a car that size, but never floated my boat as for its reserved handling.

The Honda is very close to the Camry, but has more road feel. Ergonomically, it is very well thought out, better than the Camry, but perhaps not so with the newer Toyotas.

If I had to choose personally, I'd look at the Accord over the Camry. Nonetheless, I'm anxious to see how the new Supra does. My wife promised I could treat myself with my next car and I'm gonna take her up on it.

Toyota and Honda both make excellent cars.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Someone who's never owned a Mitsubishi. :) Mazda has the occasional lemon also, but it's the exception not the rule.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Phillip Hamm writes:

Yeah! Subaru is importing 500 B-spec L-GTs to the US too, it's one nice ride too and a bit bigger than the WRX if that's an issue.

As far as Honda vrs Toyota.. I love my little MR2-Spyder but I've never owned a Honda before and I'm sure you'll do fine with either.

Jay

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator

Ha! I have owned a couple Mitsubishis and never had a real bad experience. I take good care of my cars though. My current ride is a 99 Galant V6, actually - nice car.

I have also owned an Eclipse and an Eagle Talon (both came from the Mitsu plant in Normal, IL) - both were very reliable.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Other than their rotary powered cars, Mazda is in the same boat as Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Mits. Mazda's Rx7 was a nightmare for reliability. That said I don't know how the Rx8 has been faring.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Rx7 was a sweeeeeeet car though - with a few tweaks to the cooling/turbo system it could be made very reliable. Well - maybe more than a few tweaks, seeing as how every hose has to be replaced and a larger aftermarket radiator installed. Heh, but yeah, you can make that car reliable. But don't run lean - BOOM! - bye bye engine - no resistance to detonation whatsoever in a rotary.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Another G35 recommendation here. Very nice car. Do you have a local Nissian dealer? You can talk with them, it is possible they can do all warranty work for the Infinity.

Otherwise, It really seems you have your mind made up for the Solara

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks