What's new

HomePage Too Wide (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Recently I see my opening or Welcome Page is too wide at the right margin by 4 characters. Going to a specific forum, it's then ok, fitting inside the right margin slide bar.

This may be a MS/Windows thing, since I got a new puter and installed a new OS w/in the past month (WIN2000Pro).

Any suggestions?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm, is there a way for you to globally reduce the size of the font by one notch

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Neil,

Going to View then TextSize and Medium or Small, changes typesize alright, but doesnt shrink the presentation.

This isnt anything disabling, but an annoyance for now.

I doubt this is on the HTF end. I did try logout/login but nothing shrinks on the WelcomeBack page.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bill:

The site is optimized for a 1024 x 768 size so if you have your monitor set for less that would make some of the banners make the page wider and shove the margins over.

Parker

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
tks, parker. yes, I'm set for 800x600. I tried the next size or 1024x576 but it wud not "fit" on my screen, sorta like a stretched non-anamorphic 16:9 with bars. Then 1024x768 fit ok, but it's quite smaller, so I'll leave it the way it was for now.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bill,

If you choose 1024x768 (I'm using that for more than 7 years now), everything that's based on a fixed set of pixels is indeed "smaller".
You can overcome that by settings on your Display settings: "Use Large Icons", for instance, and "DPI setting" and/or choosing a larger standard font.

HOWEVER! Before you change all that, first give yourself a chance to get used to all things being a bit smaller (but "sharper": the real resolution isn't changed!). You may just start to like it, and you have more space on your desktop and in almost every window.

I for one wouldn't go back to 800x600 and I'm now contemplating to go to a higher resolution even (once I get to buy a new LCD monitor, of course - an LCD monitor dictates the screen resolution).

Cees

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Cees, very interesting...took your suggestions for 1024x768; applied Larger Icons AND Larger Font Size (which took a reboot) but now prefer TextSize set to Smaller.

It's a new look, typewise, to get used to, for these old eyes.

I dont see or know about "DPI Setting."

Also, Contrast has shifted into some high mode, same as boldface????

bill

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bill,

DPI-setting is in my Display Settings (Windows-XP) under Settings/Advanced/General, but may be typical for my graphic card and not be present on yours.

The contrast setting on your monitor is adjustable through the buttons on it (on most monitors on the right, below the screen), and it is possible that different settings are "remembered" bij your monitor for different frame frequencies/resolutions. So in that case you will have to set it again now you switched to another.
Also, you may want to check your color setting (under the Settings-tab on de Display Settings pop-up). I'd advise 24 bit color minimum.

Cees

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Cees,

So I changed typeface to Arial Narrow, which seems not to be BF, then I discovered that changing TextSize from Medium to Smaller reverts my copy type in HTF messages back to "standard" newspaper-style contrast, which I prefer.

I haven't altered my 32-bit Color setup.

I do see however, that my OutlookExpress saved msgs now appear in bf. WTH? I dont seem to get any more bf displays on other website material, say like NYT on the Web, or another forum.

As you may surmise, I haven't fiddled with typeface changing before, living with WIN98SE defaults for 3 years.

I have just installed WIN 2000Pro, using an SiS Graphic Card/driver in a new box, and I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself right now. I realize this is an OS issue.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bill,

Perhaps Outlook Express has a private font setting that you can fiddle.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks