What's new

Homemade widescreen vs. P&S examples :-) (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
Thanks Mike... that's EXACTLY where I found it! hehe. It's on the main page of my own website: http://edival.net
My own question, does anyone know where to get screen caps from Pee Wee's Big Adventure where he's taking the chain out of his backpack? I want a screen cap in both widescreen and open-mat. I want to demonstrate how seeing more does not necessarily mean better!
Thanks,
Chris.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Thank you for posting more examples. I plan to post another example later. Gotta find another panoramic picture that's hard to pan and scan. Something similar to my recent post.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I'm on my old PC right now. I'll wait sometime until my dad gets off the good PC and then I'll upload some pictures to the FTP site and post them. LET'S SEE SOME MORE examples in the meantime. PLEASE!?!??!?

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Ok, I got another panoramic picture and came up with some examples. Here's BJ and Benjamen. Benjamen on the left and BJ on the right.

As you can see. You can see them both playing.
But I want that to fit my TV screen, so what do I do now?
http://members.tdn.com/oldgrump/kcg/photos/p&sleft.jpg
Well, I could pan and scan it to the left and cut most of BJ out.
or
http://members.tdn.com/oldgrump/kcg/.../p&smiddle.jpg
Pan and Scan to the middle cutting most of Benjamen out.
or do this, which wouldn't work.
http://members.tdn.com/oldgrump/kcg/photos/p&sright.jpg
WTF? BJ's face is cut off. I definetly don't want this on my TV. In fact, ALL of these pictures suck on the TV. There's GOT to be another way.
OH I KNOW!!!!
Let's letterbox it!!!

AH, here we go. The only way I can preserve the whole picture and get the WHOLE cats in the picture is to letterbox it. Much better. Don't you think? :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm not especially known for my quick wits or exceptional intelligence, but I do have to ask what this thread's in aid of. All I've seen are four examples of people teaching themselves what they already know with the help of visual aids. Pointless, yes?

And if anyone came up to me in a store to "spontaneously" try and teach me about widescreen with home computer printouts, I would run a mile.

With the current TV technology, the only way forward is to include both aspect ratio options on the same disc, but also a short example piece on why the OAR is preferable. If the release necessitates two releases, place the OAR-education featurette on both releases also - you never know, it might prevent someone from taking a mistaken-widescreen purchase back to the store.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Next time I see Rush Hour 2 on TV, I'll record the beginning where they're singing in the car and capture it with my POS Dazzle unit, and then take a screen shot off my OAR DVD. I've seen the first part of Rush Hour 2 in Pan and Scan. It SUCKED!!! You couldn't see both Jackie and Chris at the same time. You know when Chris takes the CD out of the stereo and throws it out the window and Jackie's going Hey Hey Hey!!! In the Pan and Scan, you can't see the reaction on Jackie's face when Chris throws the CD out. But on the OAR, you can. Discussing OAR in this town is pretty difficult. I discussed it to a couple of my former teachers at the highschool with no problem. Went to the video store today to see what they got and decided to start a widescreen debate. I was there, one of my brother's friends and his friend was there along with the store owner and somebody else behind the counter.
I'm trying to convince my brother's friend that they cut the sides off to make it fit the screen. He don't believe me. It was so bad; had all of us trying to talk at once. The 2 ladies behind the counter are anti OAR and so is my brother's friend. I told him they butcher it to fit the screen, and he goes "No they don't." "yes they do" And his friend that was with him tells him, "Um, he's right. He's right." I gave him that "THANKYOU" look and said, "I don't like watching something that's been butchered up" In the middle of that, I told them I emailed Disney for only releasing a pan and scanned version of Snow Dogs. They all think I'm crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm just a movie goer and I want to see the movie the way the director wanted me to. When I take my van over to Napa to get my fuel filter changed, I'll walk back over to the video store and have a little talk. I'll probably print out some posters from www.widescreenadvocate.com post one on the bulliton

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Ok. I have another example here. This time. I'm gonna sock it to ya!!!! I took my POS Digital 320 out about a month ago, and took some pictures and stitched them together. Sorta like Cinerama.

Here's what it would look like on a screen with almost a 40x9 aspect ratio. THAT is wide!!!!
http://members.tdn.com/oldgrump/kcg/photos/vanp&s.jpg
Here it is Pan and Scanned to fit your ugly TV with only a lowsy 4x3 aspect ratio.
What's that? You want to see the WHOLE picture? WELL!! THAT'S NO PROBLEM THEN!!!
LET'S LETTERBOX THIS BAD BOY!!!!

I know, it's pretty small. But I put this picture on my POS 25 inch TV using the TV OUT on my video card and it was pretty viewable. But, this way, you see my 1984 Toyota Van, the rest of the tree on the left, the driveway, and the bush on the right. How about that?!?!

Eric T

Second Unit
You're right, Ken, 360-degrees is as wide as you can get. They should just start shooting every movie with extreme fish-eye lenses so that we can see 360 in every direction for a fully spherical picture. Then we can see all around us all at once, which we can't do in real life, so in that sense the movies would not only give us a good story from time to time, but make us feel super-human for a while too.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Ken, that last 40x9 aspect ratio pic in letterbox format reminded me of that Steven Segal MadTV sketch a few years back....it was so letterboxed you couldn't see a thing. That's funny! :D

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Ok then. :D :D :D

Here is the 360 degree view of my bedroom. If somebody can find some software that will let me put that in a virtual tour where I can pan around, that'd be nice.
http://members.tdn.com/oldgrump/kcg/...bedroomp&s.jpg
Notice 5/6th of the picture is missing.
But I want to be able to see the aquarium, the messy headboard, the computer, and what have ya on my TV. What do I do now?
You know the words! ALL TOGETHER NOW!!
LETTERBOX IT!!!

You better hope you have a big TV for THAT!!! LOL :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks