Homeland Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    The trailer is a work of art in and of itself. One of my three best shows of last year.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I immediately used SoundHound to track down the song in the background...Scala...wow, what a great rendition.
    And a great series, too.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Just came here to post the same thing. One of the most beautifully edited trailers for a television show I've ever seen. A few minor spoilers in some of the images, but generally a trailer that does a good job of giving us the texture of the new season without giving us anything solid about what we'll see.
    I don't have HBO now, but I'll find some way or another to catch this.

4. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Showtime you mean. Showtime is having a hell of a run of pretty fantastic cable drama, frankly at the moment.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Yes, Showtime! Thank you. Unfortunately don't get that one either. If they decided to air "Shameless" and "Homeland" at the same time, it'd probably be worth it for me to drop the coin for the station. As it is, I'll have to be a pest to the friends who DO get Showtime.:)

6. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    This is a show I watched exclusively on demand during the spring- I can't wait to watch the new season!
    I wonder what the theme/tone of this season will be. One of the big draws to last season was trying to figure out what Brody's true motivations/intentions were (is he turned or isn't he?). Should be a real treat!

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    When does season two start?

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

When in doubt, ask Wikipedia. :)
    Sunday, 30th September.

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Great series, great trailer. That weekend in September is going to busy with premieres. Fringe, Dexter, and Homeland! :cool:

10. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    First episode of Season 2 is available online early.

http://www.sho.com/sho/video/titles/17798/homeland-s2-20-minute-sneak-peek

11. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Premieres Sunday. If you've missed this, you need to catch up.

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    God this show is great...

13. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Holy cow. I bow to the genius of the scriptwriters.

14. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

That was just excellent, again. I loved Brody during the confrontation in the garage, and Carrie's smile (which I assume is what gave the episode its title) was perfect.
    Only problem is, over the weekend I marathoned the first season, and now having to return to waiting a week for the next one just might kill me. :D

15. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    The scene where Carrie beat the agent and turned into a smile that went from self-rewarding to potentially manic was one of those things where you just have to trust an actor to get that much across in a non-verbal scene to convey so much about their character.

16. Adam Lenhardt

One thing that's going to be fascinating for me this season see watching how different Damian Lewis's performance is this season versus last. His job as Brody during the first season was to be a cypher; the central mystery of the show was: Who is Sgt. Nicholas Brody? This season, we know exactly who Congressman Nicholas Brody is. Lewis can show a little bit more of what's going on inside Brody's head this time. He's easily the most fascinating character on the show. He is both terrorist and war hero, loyal American and potential agent of America's undoing. He is driven by his own moral compass, and sometimes that leads him into Nazir's camp, and sometimes it leads him away from it.
    I love Brody's relationship with Dana. She doesn't know everything, but the desperate call she made to him when he was in the bunker made it clear she's filled in most of the blanks. And yet he chose her over his cause, she knows it on a gut level even if she's convinced herself that she was only imagining it, and she accepts him exactly as he is. It'd be easy to make the sleeper agent a monster, but Brody isn't. He's a good father motivated by the personal rather than the ideological. He wasn't going to blow up himself and wipe out the chain of command to further Nazir's jihad. He was going to do it to avenge the death of an innocent little boy who was murdered when his infamous father put him into harm's way.
    I also like the shifting dynamic. In the finale, Brody was pretty ascendant, and Carrie was about as low as you can get. Now Brody's finding himself increasingly cornered and trapped, and Carrie's being pulled back into the fold.
    Absolutely. I would bet the episode title wasn't chosen until they were working on that scene in the editing bay. I liked that they integrated the memories issues that are a common side effect of electro-shock therapy into her storyline. It might be that in making her "sane", the treatment took away vital parts of what made her such a good CIA operative. Usually the effects on memory improve the further the person gets from when the treatment was performed, so she might bounce back. It's also an open question at this point whether it was the treatment that made her better, or finally getting proper psychiatric treatment on a consistent basis and engaging in a suitably conducive lifestyle. She's still definitely ahead of the game versus where she was before, because she's not hiding anything anymore. The CIA knows exactly what they're dealing with, and if they choose to make use of her, they can't put her through what they did before.

17. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    [​IMG]

18. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    That is sooo good.. if you didn't know Claire Danes was acting, it completely pulls off hte "I pulled it off" to somewhat crazy in just a few seconds. Awesome.

19. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    The line about following hockey if you're from Calgary was correct.

Simply a stellar show.

20. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Great start to the new season. Carrie's glee shot at the end was wonderful.
    OTOH I didn't think it was possible but the opening credits are even more annoying than last season.